1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crew Cab here! Now Which V Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by River Hill, Oct 3, 2002.

1. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

As many of you know I purchased a 2003 F350 Crew Cab 8' bed diesel single rear wheel truck. Since I am unable to find a dealer locally to install a V plow for me. I am looking at all of the brands. I know I will be slightly overloaded so I don't want to buy something too heavy but I don't want to lose quality. I will be adding Timbren load boosters and X Springs to this truck.

The Western 8'5" MVP weighs 880# and the 9'5" MVP weighs 1049#. The Boss Steel Power V 8'2" weighs 860# and the 9'2" weighs 928#. The Fisher EZ V 8'6" weighs 808# and the EZ V 9'6 weighs 870#

After looking at these numbers Western has the heaviest V Plows, followed by Boss, then Fisher.

I want to stay under 900# for sure. I was leaning towards the Western 8'5" MVP with their new UltraMount for the V plow, but now I am wondering if I should purchase the Fisher EZ V 9'6" as it weighs even less than the 8'5" MVP? Or buy the Fisher EZ V 8'6" and have the lightest V?

I was thinking about the 810 Blizzard as well but it weighs 950#.
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If you haven't already, check this thread about Ford front ends.

Next, check here for my experience with the blizzard plow.

I wouldn't be afraid to mount anything you're looking at on that truck, the front end should handle it, especially with Timbrens (I use them too).

Before I chose the Blizzard, I had seriously considered the Boss v-plow, in my opinion it was the best made V.
  3. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Boss 8'2" V

(I have ran both 8'2" and 9'2" on same truck and the extra weight is substantial)
  4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BRIANS...Just be wary if you need warranty
    service.....Lots of mfrs. are very picky now.
    Especially plow related breakage ( engine
    trans etc) If your new truck is not factory
    equipped with plow prep. pkg. When I
    went to buy a 01 1500 ex cab plow prep
    NOT aval. 4 Dealers warned me you break
    NO warranty ! I had to go with a 2500.
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The fisher and western are basically the same plow, the weight differnce has to be in the mounting and head frame areas. Although western does use more steel in the a frame than fisher from what I have seen.
    Boss to me isnt an option due to no local dealer support and no trip design on a v plow.
  6. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan Junior Member

Brians, as I said in the other post, I had the same problem you have. I got great advice from Pelican and others about what to do. I called every dealer within 150 miles about the warranty issue and everyone said Ford would void the new truck warranty if I put a plow on a diesel powered F350 CC. I know the truck would handle the plow, but this warranty issue bothers me.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a dealer that would overlook the plow and honor your warranty. So far, I haven't had much luck finding one.
  7. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

If your TRUCK warranty doesn't matter to you

Put on the 9'6" as you have a large turning radius.

The problem with todays Truck warrantys is the high cost of repairs as when you pay $35,000.00--- $45,000.00 for a Truck & they have to fix it. & if there is anyway they can get out of it they will :eek: , and leave you holding the bag. I put a plow on a 94 Chevy cxt. cab 2 days after I bought it new & took it in to the Dealer for so minor problems a couple of months later & the Dealer said all warranty was void :( . I fought with GM & they did cover all repairs not related to plowing. But wouldn't cover engine,trans, front & rear ends, frame,stearing parts, bearings, ect.,ect.:( So if you can afford to pay for the repairs don't worry. If you find a Dealer who says he'll cover it for you you better get it in writing ;) .
  8. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

If you buy a truck with plow prep they have to cover you! If they dont.... report them to the area rep.

Dodge has recently taken plow prep off of the order page on the dealers computers. I dont know if it is permenent or a temporary change. According to the 2003 3/4 -1 ton order book plow prep is redundant ordering the same items as HD serv. group and tow pkg.
  9. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

My 94 Chevy Ext.cab didn't have plow-prep & Brian's new truck either does or doesn't but if it does it sounds as if it will be overloaded per manufactures specs. In which they DO NOT have to honor the WARRANTY :nod: , even with plow prep.
  10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BTW: The excuse given me by GM why no
    plow prep. pkg on 1500 xcabs, 1500 & 2500
    crews or diesels (prob. the same with ford-
    mopar). GVW gross vehicle weight..........
    Gm assumes on a 1500 xcab you will plow
    with 6 passengers and plow and exceed the
    6400 lb. gvw.
    On a 1500 reg cab (can get plow prep) Gm
    assumes you will plow with 3 passengers
    and plow and NOT exceed the 6100 lb. GVW...
    ..and so on.....
    GM NEVER gave me a problem on my 97 1/2
    xcab - 94 yukon-90 gmc as far as plow related
    warranty breakage issues............and I
    smoked a couple of those 700R trans too !

My western dealer will not install plows on certian
    trucks. He sez liability..........

Make sence to you guys ? Don't to me !
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2002
  11. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I bet all those extra eyes would be a plus when plowing commercial sites. :p
  12. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

My dealer always honors the warranty. I normally purchace 2 new cars a year from them, so I never have any service problems, always a loaner, always going beyond expectations.
  13. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

As a proud owner of a new Ford Super Duty you should at least post a pict. for all to see!!! I know the plow purchase is as big a decision for most people as what type of truck to buy.( Ford, Cheve, Dodge and the rest ) Keep in mind when you are reading that literature for plow weights does the weight include the mounting frame for your truck?

As for the warranty issue. Ask your dealer for the Front GVW and the Rear GVW for your truck. Then ask for the Combined GVW. He/ she will probably look at you funny and tell you it's on the door post, colum of your truck. Just play along here. Ask them for the ACTUAL CURB WEIGHT for you truck. They have the actual front and rear curb weight with any dealer accessories (DIESEL ENGINE ) you can buy either in a sales manual or a builders guide.

If you asked for the plow prep package you got the same 6000# front springs coded as you get with the DIESEL engine. They have a higher GVW Front spring available for the front end. Check your build sheet.

Now the fun comes. Yes you have to take into consideration the 6 possible passengers and the weight of each. Then do you haul all 6 when you plow? Even at 275# each thats 1650 lbs. spread between the front and rear.

What you really look at is the difference between the Front GVW and the ACTUAL curb weight for the front. The difference between them is the allowable front weight for accessories. Remember you will ( hopefully ) put weight in the rear also which will affect the front and rear gvw.

If I read your post right the warranty is as big an issue as the plow is. Don't over look the BLIZZARD 810 on your truck. You're truck should have the gvw and with that POWER STROKER it has the power so why not get the POWER PLOW.

Hope all this babble is usefull out there with the can I hang a plow on it question.

Jerre Heyer
    Erie's Home of the BLIZZARD Power Plow
    G E T W I D E and move snow fast.
  14. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I just spoke with Western and Fisher. Western's MVP 8'6" V plow with the Unimount system and mounting hardware weigh 1023LBS. The Ultramount for the V Plow will be out soon, but the add an additional 75LBS. Fishers' EZ V Plow with Minute Mount 2 and mounting hardware weigh 910LBS. I am leaning towards the 8'6" EZ V. What are your thoughts on this plow? Can the Urethane edge be used with this plow? Thanks again.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I have no experience with the western so my recommendation is biased towards what I am familiar with. So I say go with Fisher.

Will this be a self installed unit or did you find an installer?
  16. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

17. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Check out the pics in my sig. to see an 8.5 Western V on a SD.

Like Dino said, the Fisher EZV and Western MVP are basically the same plow. They are made side by side in the same place. They use the same mold board, pump and controls. The main difference is the mount and of course the color;)

If you are in or near MD or PA, PM me and I'll tell you of a Western dealer that will install one on your truck as long as you have done the proper front spring upgrades.

18. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Glad you were able to get the scoop from West and Fisher on the weight's. You can do a U-edge on the MVP without a whole lot of trouble. Superior Tire can make you a custom U-edge just email them the hole spacing, thickness and height you want to use. You will have to chamfer the center so they won't bind in the scoop position though. Good luck

19. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

YOu guys with te Boss V.... what about the spring return wings? Any issues? Fisher and Western use double acting cylinders.
  20. igor176

igor176 Junior Member

I have a 2000 superduty CC, lwb, PSD, and I put a Blizzard 810 power plow on it this year. I haven't used it yet but with no timbrens (there on my bench) it only drops the nose about 2" as far as what plow I looked at them all and the Blizzard was by far the best built and highest quility out of all of them I was very impressed!