1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cresting Hill/Driveway

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CountryBoy72, Jan 17, 2009.

1. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Member

Just curious as to how a front mounted plow reacts when you crest the top of a driveway ? Does the blade stay in contact with the driveway ? Whether it be cresting and going down or cresting as your coming up ? Can the plow drop/travel far enough down and keep contact or will it bottom out sort of speak and lose contact with the ground, plow will be up in the air ? I ask because my rear mounted plow loses contact as soon as my truck starts to break over and the plow bottoms out sort of speak(plow can't lower any further, to great a distance between the ground and the plow to scrape anymore) Thanks
  2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

put the plow into float mode and it will ride with the curve of the driveway
    coming down into the street it will catach the lip (if there is one) between the drive and street and might get hung up so be careful
    this can also happen going in
    but it will remain in contact as long as its in float mode
  3. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

it will stay in contact in float to a point. With my Meyers on some of the steeper crests I have to get out of the truck and let more chain out so it will stay on the ground.
  4. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Member

Any Idea how this might work on a plow that is all hydraulics and no lift chain ?
  5. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

I have a driveway like this i have all hydro lift and I actually pull up back drag then back up it and plow down its the only way i can get it to work. it works ok but i always touch up with a shovel.
  6. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Score 1 for the lift chain I guess.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Geee I have one driveway that has such a drop that my CHAIN plow runs out of travel but my hydraulic plow stays on the ground.

How can that be?

Maybe it has to do with the designed travel and NOT the type.:rolleyes:
  8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I have when drive that does this. But I can do a 5 point or so turn around at the top and push whats left at the top of the hill into a little grassy area
  9. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

My bro-in-laws drive is like that too but i usually do his first on the route so it aint no big deal to let out some chain before i even leave the shop and then readjust when im through with his drive. With the extra chain out i have no probs at all.
  10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

My Boss (all hydro) follows all of my drives and lots with no problems.
  11. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Making the chain a little longer is fine for those kind of driveways but it takes longer to raise the plow and it won't raise as high as normally does for the regular drives.
  12. jaymorgan2

jaymorgan2 Junior Member

Sometimes I have a problem when going up the lip of a driveway where the crest is too much for the plow to grab. Going slowly over it and then hitting the down button on the controller at the top of the crest resets the plow and aids in getting a good scrape.