1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Credit cards?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by akbob, Dec 26, 2008.

1. akbob

akbob Junior Member

I just started plowing on a part-time basis and had a couple customers asking if I could take credit cards for payment. Seems like that might be a good way to go, but not sure how to do that. Any advise? Does anyone else take credit cards?

This is my first post, but this site has been very helpful so far!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go to your bank and ask for a name of a cc merchant. But if it's only for the now and then cc it may not be worth it. A lot of them have monthly fees if you use them or not.
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Talk to your local bank about service and fees or if you invoice with Quickbooks you can use their service. It will cost you money to do it a monthly fee and a transaction charge.
  4. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

Not worth the time and stress with Credit Cards..

ask for check and take it to bank right away no later than 2 days.
  5. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

Sign up for paypal merchant account. Discount rate is kinda high, but worth it if you don't put through that much volume. If you start putting through a lot of volume, then go with a traditional cc processing company.
  6. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

if you already have a paypal account (FREE) give them your paypal name and they can pay it themselves online, visit www.paypal.com all they do is enter your email address and put their card info and amount and its done they dont have to have a paypal account to pay you either.
  7. I have a credit card terminal for my other business, but I echo the suggestion to use Paypal as a way to accept occasional payments via credit or debit cards.
  8. citywide

citywide Junior Member

I like www.propay.com you can accept credit cards on site by calling them into an automated system or you can do it online.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We take cc payments. We will also pass on the 3% transaction fee to the customer if they choose this method.
  10. While not illegal, this is against credit card company regs. and may be enough to have them cancel your merchant account.
  11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Is that right. Didn't know that........I'll check into it.

Thanks bro.
  12. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

There's so many ways around this. You basically can't tell your customers if you use credit cards, you have to pay 3% more. What you can do to get around this is by adding a "convenience charge" for using credit. You can also raise your prices 3% and offer 3% off for using cash.
  13. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Do a search there is sofware out there that will let you recieve cc apyments without all the hassel of getting a merchant account. I agreee wit hthe paypal idea thought thats probly your best bet
  14. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

The easiest way to do it on a part time basis is to get Paypal virtual terminal.

It costs $30 a month to use and is tied to your paypal account which is tied to your bank account.

I just type the CC number in my laptop and paypal does all the work and the money instantly goes in your bank account.

You can also print them a receipt for there records and yours.
  15. akbob

akbob Junior Member

Thank you to all that responded! I will check out the paypal solution as that seems like the way to go for my current setup.
  16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Call it a Administrative fee. CC companies don't cancel your merchant account unless they are forced to.

I find CC are the way to go. All my driveway customers HAVE to give me a CC # for billing there is a plave to fill it in right on the contract. It means I can do the work @ 2am and be paid at 8am with out ever talking to the customer. It means if they pay the neighbor kid to do the driveway I get paid anyway. It means I never get screwed by the non-paying customer. We insist on one for "one shot" drives as well. Means I never have someone drive to a job to find it already done when they get there. We bill the card immediately an tell them so. Works well and I just figure the 3% as a cost when I price jobs.
  17. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

Actually, just set your rate 3% higher and offer a 3% discount for cash. I would use PayPal unless you have a business currently set up for Cc use.
  18. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If doing paypal for the clients ease of doing business then tell them the truth that paypal has processing fees and take on $1.50 to a $25 bill.