1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

credit cards should i start taking them

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Morrissey snow removal, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i do about 55 driveways aswell as commerical accopunts some of the driveways are slow paying etc i was thinking about getting one of those card readers for ur phone anyone with imput would be helpful thanks chris

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

To much goofing around then.You going to knock on the door at 3am and ask for payment?

3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I just received my SQUARE card reader. Works with a smart phone or iPad. What I like is there are no fees unless you use it. Even the card reader was shipped to me free. I figure it can't hurt to have just for those times you need to get payment from someone.

https://squareup.com/card-reader

4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You can accept cc payments over the phone as well but it costs a little more than swiping the card.

5. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Make sure you program it like a restaurant. Tip? Lol

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ya,you guys up there perfected it. "Would like to add18% to your bill"?

7. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I use go payment love it all 4 of my crews have it for there phones sinks with QB's no problems yet and we have used them all summer as grandveiw said I don't now how it would work in the winter though I do all commercial work so I won't be using it in the winter

8. Morrissey snow removal

i always have customers ask me if i will take them i just dont know if i want to

9. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You can actually do that! payup

Screenshot_2012-09-30-20-11-15.jpg

10. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

it would be nice to have them on auto charge. Every month just process the batch.

mrs Stewart will still want you to stop by and pick up the cash and have a slice of pie ;)

11. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

I use Square also, but I prefer check or cash. It's nice to be able to accept credit cards for those clients that prefer to pay that way.

12. Morrissey snow removal

i just want to give people another option to pay i think alot of people would like it better since people seem to run cc out of sight lol

13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Another fan of square here. Easy, quick and nice for those slow payers.

14. Wendi A

Wendi A Junior Member
    from NY

Good afternoon! I handle bookkeeping and office management for several snow plowers in ny. Another way to handle accepting credit card payments is to have your customers give you their credit card information and sign a form allowing you to automatically run their credit cards after services have been rendered. I have a copy of the form that i use if you would like a copy. Guarantees timely payments once the form is signed (unless for some reason the card is declined). I then will send our customers a sales receipt with the event information for their records.

15. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Its great but you'll be making about 3% less which goes to the CC company.

16. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I add the 3% if your up front with your customers and tell them about the 3% most of them don't care. That's what I do with the square.

17. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

So its almost like working for a national????:laughing::laughing:

18. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

3% is not that much on a $60.00 bill its a dollar eighty. On a 100.00 dollar bill its like 3.00 bucks

19. Morrissey snow removal

i have a few alow payers they always do pay they are good customers had them for yrs and i think this would help

20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I was always COD when plowing driveways. That's how I did it when I was 12 when I used a shovel and blower. My customers were just accustomed to it and it wasn't broken, so I never fixed it when I moved up to trucks. They came out when I was done or I could go back later to grab the cash/check. I really like the CC idea. I would do it since it doesn't cost money unless you use it.