1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Credit Card Reader for Laptops

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Meezer, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'm looking for options for credit card readers for laptops. What do you guys use?

2. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Use this for the phone. Square card reader. Never used one for a laptop.
    [​IMG]

3. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

It would be cool if square made one for the laptop that would either go into the headphone jack like with the phone or with a USB connection... My guess is that they don't because of security risks... When I looked into getting a card reader most companies required extensive firewalls etc...

Sorry I can't help with what to get for the laptop, but if you have an Iphone or droid I would highly recommend square.

4. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Not going to be an easy task for a laptop unless you are running a USB reader and have an internet connection.

Use Square.

Honestly you can run it off an iPod as long as you have wifi. I run one unit at my shop off an iPod Touch I bought for $40.

5. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

There are credit card readers for laptops, they plug into the USB port. IMO it would be a PITA to have a second merchant service agreement just for one card reader on a laptop.

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

PayPal has one for phones too, basically the same thing as Square I think.

7. RJ lindblom

I'd run it off my phone anyway. I've ditched the laptop for an iPad, iPhone and desktop. They all work pretty well together.

8. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Square reader. Avoid Paypal like the plague IMHO.

9. RJ lindblom

Paypal is supposed to be making some changes in the future. Not sure what all they will be. Not sure if it will be any better down the road either.

10. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I prefer to use my laptop for conducting business for a variety of reasons. I love the large screen & keypad. I have mobile broadband

I don't have an ipad, iphone, nor am I interested in one.

Desktops are useless for me in the field.

11. RJ lindblom

There are readers that use USB and would work quite well with laptops. If you use quickbooks that might be your best solution.

12. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

13. RJ lindblom

That looks like a winner. The only thing I'd be concerned about it dust narfing up the ability to read a card. If you store it in your console or in the bag you should have good luck.