1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Credit card payment

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by dinosaur, Jul 28, 2016.

1. dinosaur

dinosaur Junior Member
    from SE PA

I've seen some older threads on this, but since things change over time I thought I start a new one.
    I had a customer (post office) that could only pay via credit card on a timely manner, but with the monthly fees when I'm not using it, it made it financially unfeasible, so I'm looking for another service.
    So what's out there for a credit card swipe that doesn't juice you in fees? I only use it for plowing (I don't do lawn work so it's just snow removal).

And if someone is in my area and already have the card swipe, and looking to pick up a small post office for snow/ice removal, let me know and I'll send you the info (trust me, I don't mind turning this work away).
    Thanks

2. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

If you've got an iPhone, they have a free app and free card reader that you can get and link to a bank account that lets you collect from credit cards. It's called the square.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Makes you want to buy 1 stamp and put it on your cc... for that one customer that doesn't want their bill emailed to them.

4. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I use the square reader. It charges a percentage of each payment instead of monthly. It uses your phone or tablet like mentioned above. I charge a "convenience fee" (about 1% higher than what square charges me) that is in my contract. Most people who are using the card don't mind, those who do can write a check.

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Square is easiest way to go

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do you actually have to swipe a card? Most of ours are over the phone.

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Yes and no.. U can manually input the cc # but it then charges you a small convenience fee.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Define small.

9. JMHConstruction

10. JMHConstruction

It jumps up a little. I don't do much business with cards (mostly checks) and I charge 3.5% convenience free whether it's keyed in or swipe. You may want to add to that. No one using a card has complained too much.

11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I went from a service provider (merchant services) to a square and will never go back. I get a report every night (after midnight) with a breakdown of my sales and then another email that shows the deposit, the weekends are an exception. The other provider kept adding fees and such that just killed me, they had a $25. statement fee among many others. I can use the square in the office or mobil, swipe the card or key it in manually and it lets you know when you manually key it in that its a slightly higher rate.

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I use stripe or through quick books.

13. dinosaur

dinosaur Junior Member
    from SE PA

Thanks for all the replies, square it is. Even though all the ads I see say Square is "free", just didn't want to get stuck with more monthly or non-usage fees.
    I already add to my bill, the cost of credit swipe fees, so no change there.
    When the post office was done via check, the invoice was submitted at end of every month service was provided and payment was received in July!! With the card, I submit at end of month and show up at the main office a day or two later and get paid!
    Now if I could only find a place for the snow without burying the neighbors garage, I'm set!!

14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Agree...I always charge 3%.

15. Eric7a

Eric7a Junior Member

For my business, i use flint, no monthly fees, flat rate (3%), and have never had an issue. Since earlier this year it had to be linked to a stripe account, but the process is pretty simple. If anybody insists on paying with a card, I let them know there's an additional 3%, most don't care. Swiping a card, or typing it in, is the same cost.