1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Credit card machines - help...

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by margesimpson, Dec 28, 2003.

1. margesimpson

margesimpson Junior Member

have a large commercial account that wants to pay us immediately upon completion, but wants to use their credit card (they are a fortune 500 company so its not a scam...)

i like the fact that we dont have to wait for a 30 or 45 day billing cycle.... but

the only way we get the account is if we do this - so my question is - is there a cheap, easy way to do this or is it a pain to do...

thanks

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

talk to your bank
    they may be able to set you up
    any friends own a bussiness
    john

3. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Look into Paypal (paypal.com). I believe they may have an application that would work for you.

4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

No matter how you do it you can expect to pay from 2-3% of what you process by bank card, to credit card fee's.

5. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Call me at 860.608.1842
    I was recently set up with a merchant account. They have the lowest rates in the county.
    Dino

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

We use National City they gave us a software program to use to process the info makes it really easy to do and you can easily look up past transaction info.

8. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

If you sign a contract see if there is a cancellation fee. sometimes this is overlooked till it is time to stop then they want a 1-2 hundred dollars to do this. Also watch out for monthly fees. READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY

9. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Check with Nextel they sent me a letter telling me with my phone i can get a card reader to attach to it don't know what they charge though. just a thought.

Mark

10. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Contact your local bank and tell them you need a small business merchant account. They usually charge a monthly fee ($10-$15) and then assess a percentage fee ( somewhere around 3%)against the amount processed.

We use Payment Services (the Bank One affiliate) and do batch submittals. The simplest solution is to use a telephone submittal which requires a touch-tone phone.

Absent compelling circumstances, we no longer plow any property without a credit card.

11. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Heres my 2cents...... Why in the world is a >fortune 500 < company wanting to pay by "credit card" for services of this type ??? Im baffled....for a company to pay by credit card is an accounting nitemare. Any chance they want to be billed :::: due upon completion ::: and you leave them a bill when your done...??? :confused:

12. capital

capital Senior Member

Regarding the charges for credit cards........if you are paying 3-5% then you need to find a different provider.We have contracts were we are paid when completed via debit cards for their tracking purposes of expenses. We submit the bills over the internet and have the funds deposited 48 hours later into our accounts. I think the percentage we pay is worth the fact we are not waiting for money.

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MS.............This a tough one !

I am set up to take credit cards for my bar/hotel/motel/rest.
    operations.

So $now billing would be no problem...............
    But all my accounts pay per season by check or cash.

The problems associated with credit card charges and
    Pay Pal etc. are a PIA.........
    And most have been already posted here!

What if you need a terminal and printer to process 1 customers
    charges ?............Around a $1000 bucks for that stuff

Card Sale Fees......2-3% of charge purchase (depending on sale amt)

Bank/Processing Company Fees......Monthly and they vary greatly.Whats worse MOST charge you these fees MONTHLY all year no matter if you use their service or not !

Most small banks do not handle their own credit card operations.
    They are farmed out to 3rd party operations.........
    Read this $$$$$ expensive.

AND THE WORST...................

CHARGEBACKS..Yup...depending what state your in they have
    up to 6 months to dispute ANY charges ! For ANY reason !
    Then you are screwed !

Say you plow all winter and they decide they didn't like your
    work ! CHARGEBACK...You worked all winter for NOTHING !

The bank sez "The customer is always right !" and you NO
    get paid !

Not to scare you...But this is what your facing.
    Talk to your bank.............

Good Luck and happy plowing...............geo

14. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Many businesses have cumbersome payment processes that are circumvented by using the credit card. We've had no problems taking the cards and the time saved not having to reconcile receivables is worth every penny we spend on the fees.

15. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

A close friend of mine has a heating oil company, In order to be set up on automatic delivery you must have a credit card on file to guarentee.
    Any payment not recieved within 10 days gets billed to their card along with an administration fee. I dont know what percent he pays , but, His loses now are negligable .

16. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

Fortune 500 companies want air miles as well...keeps their vast travel bills to a minimum.

Dan

17. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

NEXTEL Creditel !!

I sell Nextel's for an authorized dealer and Nextel has a product called Creditel. It's a credit card swiper that hooks into your cell phone. Certain models of phones will not work though. You can even get a printer that hooks into the swipe as well.

Setup fee and a monthly fee will apply.

If you want to know more just PM me or check our website out, my contact info is on there on the For Sale/ Wanted page. I can activate service for you or anyone else no matter where you are in the country. :)

www.Indysnowplowers.com

18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

nextel is a good choice

19. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

INDY.............

I forgot about that "set up fee" !

Thanks for posting that one!.........geo

20. alwaysgreen

alwaysgreen Junior Member

Quickbooks

If you are using Quickbooks 2001 or newer they can process credit card payments, no printer or terminal needed, except the one you have 4 the computer. Last time I looked they offered 2 different banks to deal with.

As to the charge back thing See if you can find a bank with cheap buss. accounts and set up a separate account for the credit card ( different bank than your main account) then transfer the money to your main account( they can't take back whats not there)

Also large companies using credit cards is not unusual if you want to be a contractor to the US Government you must accept credit cards, that's how they pay