1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Creating residential business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sk187, Dec 6, 2006.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

My family owns a development/excavation company and for several years have done alot of comercial plowing.

I was wondering how do you go about getting residential business? Is it just knocking on doors, flyers up, or other adverts?

We developed a large sub-division a few years back (350 homes) and I would love to get driveways in that sub-division but am unsure how to get the business as this would be our first time doing residential.

I have a new 2006 JD skid steer with a snow pusher , plow, and blower attachments. I have a push snow blower mounted on the back of the skid steer along with shovels and salt bucket, basically all set up to be a 1 man residential full service machine.

Now I just need customers, any suggestions?

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

You said it best!
  3. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I usually use flyers, that I drop off door to door or mail postcards to each address in the neighborhood that I am targeting. In addtion, I put road signs (like a realitor would use) that I made myself at the enterance of the neighborhoods (with permission from the city or association when needed). I usually get a few calls during the winter during the large snowfalls and have picked a few up the next season as accounts for myself. Lastly, I created a website and get calls and emails from that as well.

Don't forget to get some magnetic signs that say snowplowing with your phone number made up. They work as well. (I got mine off of Ebay for about $40 a couple years ago)

Hope this helps,
    BJH Snow
  4. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

Snow Signs

I put out about 10 signs around town one year and I got so many calls I had to turn stuff away all the sign said was "Snow Removal Special (Price) and my Phone #". I would get 3 to 5 calls a day