1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Creating a Route

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by AzonPM, Dec 14, 2005.

1. AzonPM

AzonPM Junior Member

Does anyone know of any free way to map a route? or Develop a route?

2. NDdude

NDdude Junior Member

While it isn't free... for about 250 bucks (Ive personally seen prices between 175 and 320 so ymmv) You can buy the TomTom bluetooth gps unit. If you have a laptop with bluetooth, a pda with bluetooth or a pda phone (best choice) with bluetooth this is ideal.

Basically set the receiver on the dash of your car, it will connect to your device (laptop, pda, smartphone) and then with the software installed on the device will show maps and all sorts of good stuff. You can enter in all your accounts addresses as waypoints and the software will plot the course for you. If your really ambitious you could write or have a program written for you that would have a list of your accounts by address, in the order that your gps says is the route and each time you pass the way point it would but a X down by the account showing that you have been there. Thats pretty techie though...

Free? Sit down with a map of the city, put dots on it, highlight the streets that connect the dots :D

edit: Even free'er you could probably find a map of your city in the internet (ie: mapquest) save the image onto your computer, open the image in paint and do the same thing you would do with a pen, put little dots on the image at each account, make lines on the streets you will use, then just save and print the image. You would always have a copy of it and it would be pretty easy to adjust your map if you dropped or added an account.

edit2: I forgot the name of the site, but I'm sure there are like 10 that will let you do the same thing... It has overhead satallite images of towns, one of these maps would probably work the best. I'll look around a bit and see if I can find the site I'm thinking of.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  3. AzonPM

AzonPM Junior Member

Thanks

I like all your ideas. The thing with the maps is I am covering 3 different towns. I have seen gps units for $99, I might just grab one.

4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

why do you need gps to map out a route???

5. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

For about $40 you can buy a program from Staples or any office supply store that lets you put in your addresses, optimize the stops, set how long you will be at each stop individually, tell you how long the route will take with the stops and even figure out about how much fuel you will use. The one I have is called Microsoft Streets & Trips, just got the newest edition Monday from Staples for $40. Takes about 25 Minutes to set it up but then you can add or remove stops in a minute or so and print out a new route with new directions.

If that is what you are looking for, send me a couple of addresses with the zip codes and your email address and I will route them for you and send them back so you can see what it looks like.

bigpita@verizon.net

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  6. Calamari

Calamari Member

paper maps

Most areas will have street map books you can buy from book stores or Wallmart or any drug store chain for cheap.

Make copies of the town map if you have multiple addresses in that town. You can either circle the streets with a pencil or highlight each street with yellow highlighter. Once you have all the streets highlighted, you will be able to plan your attack. Make a big swing through the town without back-tracking if possible. We used to also use these map copies attached to a piece of cardboard with a piece of clear laminate over it. You can then trace the street with an erasable grease pencil and use it over and over.

Or you can buy a GPS

7. AzonPM

AzonPM Junior Member

Thanks Great Info

Thanks for all the great info and responses. I am looking into downloaded microsoft streets.....

8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I just start from the south east and work my way north

9. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

a map or if u dont wanna waste the time map quest each spot....all ur payin for is paper in that case other than that i dont know what to tell ya....or drive the route and write it down on paper thats what i did came home typed all my notes up its perfectgot it laminated and im good to go for the season

10. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I always drive a big 'loop'. Start at home/base go to next nearest client, so on. I try to let state highways dictate my route as they are quickest, cleared quicker and easier to pass slow-pokes.