1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Creaking

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tocs93, Dec 10, 2005.

1. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

I seems to be hearing a creakin sound when I raise and lower my plow and I can't figure it out. It does to it more when I am stacking or putting more pressure on the blade. Any ideas?

2. payton

payton Senior Member

have you greased it lately?

payton

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Grease?:nod:

Are your mounting bolts tight?:waving:

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Lets think about this, shall we? When I'm "putting more pressure on the blade" it creaks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

ouch! that hurt!! Can I stop now!!:rolleyes: :waving:

6. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

I have no idea what you guys are talking about

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

O.k. Epic Lawn Care said: let's think about this. To which I responded:
    "ouch! that hurt!!". can I stop now!!:confused: :waving: AS thinking would cause pain!! LOL:drinkup:

Just a (very) little bit of humor..lol

8. jackrusselfire

jackrusselfire Junior Member

Try to look at your mounting bolts, check cotter pins, grease plow, check were blade mounts to frame.

9. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

I got ya! But I still don't know what is creaking.

10. maineskier69

maineskier69 Junior Member
    from maine

Try giving the lift ram a squirt of penetrating oil and work it up and down to see if that is it.

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Grease all of the pins and where it hooks to your truck. There little holes going down the center hinge, you need a adapter for your grease gun to get grease in there. Then some people use a spray grease on there pins and where the springs rub. Basically every where two parts rub together, needs to be greased.:waving:
    Or it could be your trucks suspension creaking don't for get to grease it too.

12. tocs93

tocs93 Junior Member

Thank you, I did notice a slight creak when mounting the plow also, not as loud or noticable when raising or lowering the whole plow though. I will shoot some oil on there first thing in the morning and see if it works. Thank you.

13. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

mine does the same thing.I just squirt WD-40 or other spray lube on the trip springs and it goes away for awhile.I am going to tighten my springs up alittle to stiffen them up hoping it will quit.I can't find any holes on my blade mounts to grease.Though if it was meant to be greased, BOSS would have put a few zerks there to start with. But then again, look how much $$ they saved by not putting them on at the factory!!!LOL.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

15. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Oh!

Snowfarmer- OOPS! sorry but I just looked at my blade and do see the hole.I will get an adapter tommorow for my grease gun and grease it. No I have a straight blade plow. Thanks for the advice.:)

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I was talking about Boss V plows, I did not know if a center pivot on a strait blade would have a grease port or not.. sorry for any confusion.:dizzy:
    So you found a grease port on your strait blade, well thats some good info to pass on, as I had no idea there was one there on a strait blade.:waving:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005