1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Creaking Poly?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by fms, Feb 18, 2007.

1. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I just traded my Boss 8'2" steel V for a 9'2" Poly V and the new Poly V seems to creak A LOT. It's making me a little nervous. Is this typical for the Poly V?

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Is the plow put in a heated garge when it is not being used? Like when you put your truck away for the night does it go inside? It could be the shock of going from a heated garage to touching the cold snow? How cold is it there? I know mine was making some nosies the other day when it was about 2 degrees outside. I just figured it was because it went from a 75 degree garage to 2 degrees outside. I haven't had a problem with it other then I keep breaking return springs on each wing. I have replaced each one already and the plow is only a year old. And I know they are not over tightened because I can slide a business card thru them without any problem. Hope this helps

Ryan

3. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

The plow is kept in a heated garage, but the temperatures have been in th 20's and 30's and the garage is kept in the 40's. That may be the problem, but I don't think so.

The return spring problem started about three years ago and I thought it had been fixed when Boss changed vendors for the springs... I guess not. They should be warranty issues.

Thanks for the input.

4. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

Noise

Not That This Has Anything To Do With Creaking Poly V Blades.

But, If You Store Your V - Plow Inside A Heated Shop.... You Should Make Sure That You Grease Your Center Hinge More Often !!

It Will Corrode Up And Start To Give You Problems !

Just A Freindly Little Reminder.

Aaron :)

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very true. Greasing the center hinge is an important maintenance item. And that might be what you hear "creaking". Some of them get so bad that they won't even retract the wing's.

6. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm pretty religious about pressure washing and greasing my gear. Why would the center hinge corrode more quickly if the plow is stored inside?

7. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

My Poly plow creaks all the time. I don't worry about it. I think that part of it may be the retrun springs creaking. I always figured it to be because it is so cold.

8. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

BECAUSE OF THE CONSTANT HEATING AND COOLING OF IT.

ALSO, THE WETTNESS...... ITS CONSTANTLY MELTING AND DRYING.

SOMETIMES IT NEVER DRIES OUT BEFORE GOING IN THE COLD AGAIN.

MAKE MORE SENSE NOW ?

WHEN IT STAYS OUTSIDE..... IT NEVER MELTS OR DRIES OUT......

LESS MOISTURE IN THE CENTER HINGE AREA !!

AARON :)

9. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Makes more sense now. Thank you.

10. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

JUST TRYING TO PASS ON KNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE DELT WITH BEFORE.

IM ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP IF I CAN.

AARON :)