1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

crazy???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Stowe, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Stowe

Stowe Member

I'm a project manager/estimator for
    a good size union excavation company.
    I'm tinking of starting a snow removal business.
    I have the oppurtunity to bid on five supermarket
    Ancored sized lots. My concerns are balancing work,
    Getting people to do the work and getting equipment
    If I can't rent it from my employer what
    Do you think. Would this be crazy?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Not knocking the idea, but if your renting from your employer, will he have to have his operators running the equipment? If so, it's gonna be tough to be competitive paying union wages to bid 5 lots.

3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

not to mention the insurance, etc etc,, starting off with five good size accounts might be biting off more than you can chew so be very careful

4. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Crazy

Seems like a lot to bite off for your first time out of the box. May want to think of partnering up either with the company you work with or someone with the experience to make the wheels turn. Good luck.

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think I would get a pickup with a plow on it, and plow driveways. That is the easiest way to make money your first year, with the least wrapped up in equipment. Just do a great job, go for some small lots your second year, and add a truck each year, as needed. You can get a good reliable truck/plow setup for less than $10 g's. Plus if your truck breaks down, you can always snowblow or shovel driveways, and still get them all done. We had to do that a few times my first year. But that stuff happens, no matter how much nice equipment you have.

Renting equipment is very tough, because you always have a bill every month, whether it snows or not.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of union guys don't like working during the winter. They get their 26 weeks in and that's it.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not to mention there are no excuses for not plowing when it snow.

8. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Will your co.be union or nonunion ? :jester: