1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crazy truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay so I am having some minor issues once again with the truck, yay......not:mad: It has these random power surges. When I take off it has absolutley no power. Within 10-30 seconds it just stands up and runs. Kinda compare it to some serious turbo boost lag. Dont know what it is, but sucks none the less. It idles pretty rough, with a miss comming more from bank 2 side of the motor ( I have true duals on it) No knocking, just a miss. Isnt putting a code out either. And for the final one, it keeps throwing bank 2 sensor 2 O2 sensor code as low voltage. I just replaced it a month ago, and put another new one in 3 days ago now. The light was off, but just turned back on. Im thinking about getting one of those O2 sensor "dummies" that tells the ECM that all is well when there really is no O2 sensor in the exhaust. I dont think this truck likes having true duals for some stupid reason. Of course, the truck is a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0 with the 4L80E in it. Thanks up front for the help

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's running lean on the 2nd bank (primarily) Tom.

Need a good scanner to read live data and a fuel pressure gage again. Watching live data and checking fuel press is the easiest way to narrow it down.

O2 Codes are likely a secondary symptom to the actual issue (unless it has a ground issue somewhere).

Ever put the fuel pump in?

Those O2 "eliminators" are for the AFTER cat sensors when removing the cats. Still need to have the front sensors reading info back to the PCM or it isn't going to run correctly.... ever.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

No I have never done the fuel pump. I am still thinking it is the fuel pressure regulator. But I will haqve to make that phone call to my buddy again and put it on the scanner. The O2 sensors I am having issues with are the after cat ones. The front 2 are just fine. Actually I never had an issue with the front 2. So technically I could still use the eliminators even with the cats on correct?? Thanks for your help Mike:waving:

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely on the post cat ones. Thought you meant the pre cat O2's.

Get it on the scanner for some live data streaming and lemme know what you find. :waving:

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well I got the hesitation fixed. Did some further screwing around under the hood, and found out that the rubber grommet thing that goes between the intake tube and the throttle body was not seated properly and loose. Fixed that and runs like a raped ape now. Funny how little stupid things make these trucks run like crap so fast. I gave up on the O2 sensors for now. I put a piece of electrical tape over the service engine soon light on the dash.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Installer error? :D

That one would have been easy to spot with a scanner...MAF counts would have been out of whack (especially under acceleration). Good to hear it working good now. :waving:

Time for a tune? wesport

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Actually it still has the stock air intake. But yes it was my error when I had it off of the truck to do some work. I cut that stupid long piece that hangs down off of it. I also dropped in a K&N as well. I checked the codes, the MAF wasnt shooting any codes, but it sure made the truck run like a pile, errr a Ford, LOL:D

The tune is on the books beleive me. I am gonna throw some shorty headers on first to complement the true duals then get the performance tune in it. The amount of go juice it has already, I cant imagine it with a good tune done. My buddy, he is a Ford guy, doesnt think that the tuned ecm will do anything for the truck. I just had to laugh. I think he is just scared that my Chevy will pull the rear end out of his truck.

8. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Tom then you will wake up and realize you were dreaming again. LOL :waving:

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Didnt mean MAF codes specifically. If you would have connected a scanner and read the actual data the MAF was giving in relation to other feedback data from some of the various other sensors it would have sent up a red flag that you probably had an air leak downstream of the MAF.