1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crazy idea

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Danscapes, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

There is guy near me selling a full size '86 Bronco that is is great shape for $1000. An idea just popped into my mind of turning this into the "ultimate" plow vehicle. I was thinking I could take off the removable hard top, seal up the cab right behind the seats, remove the tailgate, rhino line the whole back end, beef the suspension and install a 2 yard v-box. With a v-plow on the front of this and the short wheel base this sounds like it would be unstoppable and very efficient. Has anyone seen or heard of this being done, I just don't know if the back end would accept a bulk spreader.
  2. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

While you are at it swap in some Dana 60s and 3/4 or 1 ton suspension. Have a solid front axle and it would be an improvement. I kinda like idea.
  3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

My buddy had an 83? Bronco w/ a 351. It was unstoppable in the snow. I like the idea, sounds like a fun project. I agree about the suspension upgrade. You could also chop the back of a F series cab, window and all and weld it in. Just a thought.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I plowed with a Bronco II with a 6' Meyer for like 4 years. I thought about making a 10 bag bin behind the rear seat. With a spreader head at the rear bumper level. It would of been the ultimate condo machine!
    My Oldest son wanted to take the Bronco's body and mount it to a Ranger frame with a custom V box on the back.
    He said we could call it the " Branger"
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  5. RJ lindblom

A pickup cab should just bolt up to the frame then you solve the issue of closing the back. Just fab up a short flatbed to mount to a spreader.
  6. MickiRig1

That would be cool. A Ranger cab mounted on a Bronco II frame with a spreader.
    Another Mega Millions Winner Project.
  7. RJ lindblom

I think with a little bit of time I might be possible.
  8. MickiRig1

One of my buddies is a welder, it really would not be that much of a stretch to do it. He's got a mig / tig and I have a great Craftsman stick welder.
  9. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Im Sorry Bud but the ultimate plow vehicle isnt found in a truck, rather a 4WD tractor with loader equipped with a quik tach bucket and various peices of equipment you can snap on to with it. In the back 92 inch industrial snowblower with side cast option. Speaking from experience.
  10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

dosent it depend what your doing
  11. MickiRig1

Most of the stuff I have been asked to plow is tight area's. I want to have heat and shelter from blowing snow and frigid temperatures.
  12. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Right on , with the multiple attachments , buckets, blades, reverse blades, on the front and a top of line blower at the back, you are set for whatever Momma Nature has on the platetymusic
  13. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

Dad had a Full Size Bronco with a 351 on 35's. Loved that thing. Went like a tank. we took the top off and removed the rear seat, and filled the whole back with gravel. So much weight in the rear, it didn't want to steer right. If it had not rotted away, we'd have had it for years after probably.

A Ranger body on a BII frame wouldn't be much of a stretch. The frames are very similar, as the BII was the Ranger Based Vehicle before they came out with the Explorer.
  14. MickiRig1

My Son also thought about cutting a bronco II right at the back seat line and welding it to the back of cut off Ranger Cab. Still a Branger! If all else fails, they learned that with the right welder nothing is impossible! Enough Bondo you can get it to look like a normal vehicle.