1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crazy idea for loading tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mcfly89, Nov 4, 2009.

1. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

As I sit here and stare at my trusty old Meyer Mini 36000, and ache just thinking about lifting all those bags into it...a light bulb comes on...I lost the lid years ago and had to make my own. I've been thinking about building wooden salt boxes that I can fork into and out of my truck when I need them. I could already have 2 pallets with full salt boxes in the back of the truck and however many more already on pallets at the house...full and prepared for ice.

that said, why couldn't I mount the top half of a shopvac to the lid of my spreader and use that to fill it? It might take a few minutes to fill a 600lb hopper, but i bet it wouldnt be nearly as hard on my back as trying to get into the bed of my ice covered truck, bust into my salt supply, and heave bags for a few minutes.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The shop vac needs to pull a sealed suction.
  3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Watch Apollo 13, might get some hints there.:D:drinkup: