1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crazy Distruibutor Problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VMAX, Mar 17, 2002.

1. VMAX

VMAX Junior Member

WHEN I TURN MY KEY OVER TO IGNITION,ABOUT A MINUTE LATER MY DISTRUIBUTOR GETS A ELECTRICAL CHARGE IT SOUNDS LIKE A SNAPING SOUND, IT HAPPENS ABOUT EVERY 10 SECONDS.
    I PUT A NEW CAP AND BUTTON ON THE GROUNDS ARE GOOD.
    BUT WHAT WOULD BE CAUSING THE CAP TO GET ELECTRICAL SURGES?
    SOMEONE TOLD ME A BAD KEY SWITCH COULD BE THE PROBLEM.
    ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE A GREAT HELP.THANKS,JEFF

2. chevy

chevy Member

Asuming that you have a full size pick up or not to that matter, check body to engine ground wire make sure that is grounding properly. Then next (best to do in the dark)is check the plug wires for shorting out on something like the air cleaner, other wires, engine, or body. If you don't have a H.E.I. check the coil for shorting out some where a long the line. That should be the only problems that would make a loud electical sound that you have discribed. Any thing in the distributor shouldn't make any type of sound noticable sound to the ear, if so you realy got a problem. In that case GM distributors are a dime a dozen, but check the wires at night you might see them arcing out some where.