1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bruce_cooper_ca, Nov 29, 2003.

1. bruce_cooper_ca

bruce_cooper_ca Junior Member
    from Ottawa

Hello I am a design student and for my final project I am designing a permanant internet station for the street. I have lived in Ottawa Canada my entire life and I have seen what collisions between Sidewalk plows can do to benches, newpaper boxes and bike racks. I would like your input into what can be done to ensure that the plows avoid the Internet Station, as it will have some expensive hardware and contents that don't like to get wet, and what can be done to ensure that if it is hit it will survive?

Post or email me.

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

try a poured concrete base. Of course I am assuming you need electricity and a phone line so it would be permanant anyways
  3. KL3

KL3 Junior Member

Take a look at ATM locations. You should be able to get some ideas from them.
  4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Our business is commercial electrical contracting. When we install light poles in a parking lot or along the edge, we mount the base in a 24" concrete poured SONATUBE, at least 2' high. This however is not allowed by most DOT jurisdictions along a roadway unless a guide rail is also installed to prevent a high speed impact with the concrete base. Check with the local DOT in the area of installation for their guidelines.
  5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Anything construted in the ROW (right of way), must easy break at inpact. This is why street signs must have a breakaway coupling. It is also why a brick mailbox is also considered a deadly fixed object by MUTCO, MUTCO sets the standards for all traffic control devices.

Just as a side note if you do not construct something with a breakaway you can be held responsible for any additional injuries.