1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crash935 help please?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dchasins, Apr 4, 2006.

1. dchasins

dchasins Junior Member

Hope you find this post. I'm in southeast Michigan. I found an archived thread from November where you offered Duramaxpowered information on how to modify an '03+ Chev/GMC headlamp harness setup to work with a '99-'02 truck. He wound up swapping new for new at the dealer. But I have the same situation--I bought an 8' Ultramount plow off an '03 GMC HD, and have mounted it to my '02 2500HD. Now I know I have the wrong short and long headlamp harness pieces. I have part #'s 26352 and 26351. According to what I found on Western's site, I should have 26360-1, and 26361-1. Local dealer wants about $155 for the pair (ouch). I put up a post looking to swap or buy what I need...then I saw the archived thread. I downloaded schematics, but I admit I don't totally understand how all the relays work, or even where they are (in the odd harness plugs??). But I am pretty good at following instructions, can solder a connection, etc. Can you give me the "how to" that you offered before?? If it's complicated you can email me direct at dchasins@comcast.net. Thanks!!

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Hey, i found your post.... and i would never turn you down. You will need to give me a few days, wife figured we were done with the plows so she hides my info for the summer, and if you remember where you found the thread can you post me a link (just to review). Its not reallly hard to do, just switching the right wires around in the plugs but it needs to be done with a gentle touch. If you dont get anything from me in a couple of days, bump this back to the top, would ya?

Jeff

3. dchasins

dchasins Junior Member

Glad you found the post, no problem waiting a few days. Even if we might not be completely done with snow yet...had about 1 1/2 inches last night, didn't stick on the road, though. I don't figure it's really all over until the end of April--maybe it's an excuse not to clean up the yard too early! I found the thread that got me to reach out for you...but it didn't get to the point of the actual instructions for what to do. Here's the link, it's on page 9 of this discussion forum:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=28632&referrerid=16616
    Thanks,

Dan

4. Crash935

Dan, i didnt forget about you, hope to get it tonight or tomorrow for ya.

Jeff

5. dchasins

dchasins Junior Member

Jeff, sounds great, I appreciate it. I found Western's charts of locations and wire colors for the 8437-1 Harness kit (I need) and the 27780 Harness kit (I have). This came from pages 16 and 18 of the electrical schematics guide. Seems like that should help me figure out what wires to put where, since both setups use the same isolation module. But I'm not sure how to actually move the wires in the plugs, though. I guessing that's where the trick is. Am I on the right track?? It would also help if you could tell me where to splice the purple wire on one, and the brown, purple and pink wires on the other harness at the lamp ends.

Dan

6. Crash935

Dan, your on the right track and are probably reading from the same schematics that i have. Only problem is, my power supply for my monitor keeps crashing, hopefully i can get a new one tomorrow and get things right for you.

7. dchasins

dchasins Junior Member

Thanks, Jeff. Guess this becam a repair issue! I'll stand by. Hope you get your monitor issue resolved. Hard to work if you can't see your display!

Dan

8. Crash935

Well, with a little cheating i got the monitor to keep from flipping on and off.

If you notice that on the 10 pin end of the harness the colors match up plug for plug between the harness', its at the headlight ends that the common legs are changed between the 8437 and the 27780. Because the dark blue and light blue common wires are shared and joined into one wire at the headlight plugs you cant change the wires around at the 10 pin plug so you basically need to flip the wires at the headlight plugs to get the common on the right side of the plugs. Unfortanatly, thats 8 wires you need to remove from the plug without doing any damage to the wire end. The grey or white keeper is easily removed, then, while using the end of a small paper clip or similar tool, insert the paper clip into the small slot that is right under the wire end and give a little push while pulling lightly on the wire from the back side of the plug. You may need to take a needle and "stand " the keeper back up when you re-insert the wire to get it to lock into place.

As for the purple, brown and pink wires, you will hook these up right behind the turn/daylight lamp assy. Once you pull the turn/daylight assy out, open up the loom to the turn bulb (will probably be taped up also), there are 3 wires in theis harness, come back far enough from the bulb/plug to have enough room to work and splice the brown wire into the brown wire in the truck harness, the purple wire will go to the blue wire on the truck. The pink wire will go the the bulb closest to the center of the truck (drl lamp), there are 2 wires in this harness, pink will go to the blue wire (may be red) in this harness. On the passengers side you will only have the purple wire going to the blue wire in the harness with 3 wires.

HOPEFULLY, this helps, if not, shoot me a PM with your # and a good time to call, SERIOUSLY, i will call if you think you need me to. Let me know how it goes otherwise.

Jeff

9. dchasins

dchasins Junior Member

Jeff, thanks a lot. That clears up how to get the wires out and move them where they need to go. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, if the weather is good. I will definitely let you know how it goes. One last question: it sounds like the blue and light blue are interchangeable, since they are both common. Is that what you meant? On my charts, for example, the 2-key male plug has blue/red for 8437, and red/light blue for 27780. Is it ok to just swap them in the same plug, or do I have to make it match the 8437 chart exactly (moving the blue and light blue to different plugs exactly like they are shown on 8437)? I notice that on the 10 position end, the charts show blue and light blue in reverse order in positions J and K...

Thanks for all your help.

Dan

10. Crash935

Since it is a common, you should be able to just swap the 2 wires around in the plug and not have to swap lt blue for dk blue.

11. dchasins

dchasins Junior Member

Jeff, it's good news. The operation was a complete success, everything working as it should--lights, signals, truck headlamps properly bypassed, etc. I found that the perfect tool for easing out the pins was a straight and stiff dental-type tool that I have in my toolbox. It was pretty straightforward, no mishaps. I am really pleased with the plow and the whole setup which came with the handheld control. The only remaining issue I have is that the plow drops real fast and heavy. I'd like to slow it down a little, but the quill is pretty well stuck. I've been soaking the exposed threads with WD 40, but I don't want to use much force, don't want to strip it. Any tricks for this one??

..and many thanks for your help on the harness!

12. Crash935

Thats GREAT, the oddest tools always seam to do the trick.

As for the quill, try some heat from some MAP gas, propane will work if thats all you have, just takes a little longer. Just remember that its an aluminum case so your not trying to get it red hot.

Glad i could help, yell any time you need to, now you just have to wait 9 months to really test it out.... Sending you an email, something else you might be interested in.