1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cranking up the Torsion bars on a 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chazmanian, Oct 31, 2007.

1. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

So I posted a question about the possible benefits of a set o' Timbrens on the back of my Chevy 1/2 ton and figured that my front end question was a whole different beast....

I dunno what my Torsion bars are set at now? It dosent drag on the ground or appear to be abnormally low but since the truck hasnt ever plowed before I figure after the first storm it may decide to take a "Dive" on me?

There is a 4x4 shop down the street that will crank em' up for me but I have no idea what if any amount of cranking, number of turns or actual settings i should be asking for? that is if there is more to cranking up a set of torsion bars than I'm aware of? The plow is 7.5 Meyers ST so it is a plow that was designed to be on a 1/2 ton or an SUV I guess I'm looking for any advice on how much I should get the Torion bar resistance increased if any at all?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Have you had the plow on the truck yet?...If so, how does it currently hold the plow?

How level does it set without the plow on?...Pretty low in the front like most stock one's do?

3. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Definately sits lower in the front than I would expect of a 4x4...Not crazy low though....And nowhere near as low as the light duty 3/4 ton I looked at with the 8.5 V-Plow, That truck was literally dragging the plow on the pavement in the up position.

Should I crank em? or just let em' be and take a watch and see approach?

What about them Timbrens for the rear B&B whatcha think?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd first start with turning them up a bit to level the truck up, if you don't it'll really be low in the front with the plow on. It can take 4 or 5 turns just to get the front of the 1/2 tons up before adding the plow. I usually set them so the truck is about 1/2" lower in the front than the rear (unloaded).This seems to work and look the best. An ST7.5 isn't that heavy and you may not even need any Timbrens on the front but it just depends on the bar ratings and where they're set and how much ballast your gonna be running in the back. I'd set the bars and try it without them first.Then if you need them, go ahead and add them.

As to running Timbrens on the rear, if your gonna have more than about 500lbs in the back, then yes I'd install a set on the rear..

5. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Thanks again B&B...I'll get it down to the 4x4 shop on level ground and get it right.

Ordered the Timbrens this evening as well.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Why don't you just crank them yourself? Do a search about it, it's very very simple.

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

ya you can crank them yourself if you know how to turn a wrench i did it in under 5 minutes.

jack the front of the truck up and place it on jackstands
    mark the bolt heads so you know when you get a full turn
    crank clockwise to raise and counter clockwise to lower
    i believe it is a 18 mm wrench not sure though.

i did about 4 turns on mine just to level it out i wouldnt go more than 6 ive read on here about having more front end problems when you crank them too much.

8. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Since I'm having the 4x4 shop put my Timbrens on I'll have them set the T-Bars as well.....In all honesty I need to buy some real tools! All my stuff is sized to fit this.....
    [​IMG]

My other two vehicles are both new 2007's with warranties and I havent had the need for big tools like breaker bars and 18MM sockets...Now that I have a Plowing Rig I need to get on down to Harbour Frieght and stock up on some of those big cheap tools!