1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cranking up the T bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rb8484, Oct 30, 2010.

1. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I am going to crank up the T bars on my GMC to help with the plow. Do I tighten the bolt, or do I loosen it to get the results I need??

2. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

tighten exact number of turns to both sides. Jack up truck while tightening to get pressure off front end.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Clockwise to raise the truck. As mentioned, turn both sides an equal amount. It's a good idea to jack the truck up and take the weight off the front tires.

If there's much rust on the adjusting screws, spray them with some penetrant.

Deep Creep if you're in a hurry, Fluid Film if you're not. Spray with FF after adjusting.

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Not to be the guy to play devils advocate, but adjusting both sides the equal amount only applys to trucks that already sit level. I've seen a lot of GM trucks in the last decade or two come from factory not sitting level. I believe tolerance is 1/4"? Correct me if i'm wrong. Take a tape measure and measure both sides of your truck and adjust both sides until it sits level or just a tad (1/8"-1/4") higher on drivers side to accomodate for driver weight. Dont forget to get you alignment checked as well. Just a thought.

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Also mark the Bolt and count the turns so you have a reference(write it down no of turns some were safe) to return them to original settings if need be ..

And YES get an alignment check.... Let them know you cranked the bars so they adjust alignment accordingly.....

6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

So true. Only use the same turn for each side as a guideline. Measure BEFORE for a stock number if you ever want to go back down. Once you do both underneath drop the truck (hard to settle it) and measure your fenderwells again. Adjust from there.

I always use a grease pen and mark the bolt heads and the crossmember and then put a socket on. Mark the socket where the crossmember mark is and start turning. I usually start out with 4 or 5 turns. Dont be worried about one side threaded in more than the other as its common. Hell on mine my drivers side is all the way threaded in while the passenger is maybe little past half. Ive never had to get an alignment afterwards but thats not say its not a good idea..... it wont be like it drives all funny if not.

Make sure you get to "know" it when they are cranked. It will pull hard to one side under 4wd acceleration (hard) if they are cranked a bit. Otherwise its fine. Just want to make sure your CV joints arent at a huge angle and bind. You want at least 3/4" or more at the upper control arm and the frame stop while sitting on ground. Anything more will have adverse effects on components and ride stiffness even though that will harden a tad anyways.

If you want the best way of doing this get a leveling kit from Cognito suspensions. Keeps all the geometry as it should be. Talk to Nick at Norcal Truck. Good guy.

7. sully853

sully853 Junior Member

Do the bolts turn very hard? I sprayed mine with wd40 and gave it some time and then tryed to turn them and the wernt moving to easy so i stoped. I had the front of the truck jacked up a bit, tires were still on the ground though.

8. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

They do usually turn pretty hard. I put the trucks on the lift and use an impact gun turned down a bit for control. I'm sure some would argue not to use one but i've done many and havent had one break yet thank god. It just makes it harder to count the turns is all.

9. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Take all the weight off your tires and it in return takes the weight off the LCA which is where the bars are. Do it with a 1/2" ratchet and socket. Safer.

10. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Just becarefull like everyone said i cranked mine on my half ton and i ended up cranking them too far and my rubber stops were rubbing on my shocks...crank it a couple of times lower it and check it. I used a socket and braker bar to crank mine...

11. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

What's a modest number of cranks for a 2500HD before it hurts it?

12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

They will turn hard.... But you need some thing stronger than WD 40=( Water Displacer formula 40)...
    Try JB Blaster or other good penatrent... Spray it wait a couple of hours spray again (Top & Bottom of threads ) let it sit for a day spray again.....
    I did this and had no problem ...
    Just jack it up and turn them ... My opinion don't over do it, a couple of turns will do a lot..(Mine only 2-1/2 turns did wonders).. But do count the turns as stated above.. Mark the bolt......(and Alignment too)..

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010