1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crankin' up torsion bars

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PROPJCKEY, Nov 29, 2003.

1. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Little help here,

been pondering installing timbrens but have heard a little disscusion on turning up the torsion bars.
    Back when I was a youngen, I turned them up on my Toyota for an extra inch in height mainly because I was running 35" Mickey Thompson tires. But, now that I have a bunch of weight hanging off the front of my 2500HD , am wondering if a little preventative maintenance might reduce future suspension problems.
    The truck only sags about 1"-1 1/2" when I raise the blade but, of course, there is no heavy wet snow hanging off of it. Ideas?
    -Jeff-:confused:

2. danS

danS Junior Member

Jeff, I read all of the site recently for the same question as I just picked up an '04 like yours. I am going to go 3 turns to start with for year round use possibly. Some of the guys are going 5 turns or 6 turns, even more, but only for winter use. About 3/4" max. it seems. My plow will be around 900# when installed I am guessing.

3. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

three full 360 degree turns? Mark original location with center punch (nail set hehe). do they both turn the same way or counter-rotational?

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

TURN bolt heads clockwise to raise
    counterclockwise to lower
    ...................geo

5. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Measure from the bottom of the frame on both sides first, then start adjusting your Torsion Bars. I wen't up 1.5" on mine, and it actually required more turns on one side vs. the other, but the end goal is to have the same distance from the frame to the ground on both sides.

Once you've done this, drive it for about a week or so and re-check your measurements and adjust if necessary (I didn't have to readjust mine)

Take it in and get an alingment done, and you'll be all set. I also added the Timbrens (15minute job to complete, that doesn't require taking the tires off)

6. sbrennan007

Before Torsion Bar adjustments and Timbrens:

b4timbrens1.jpg

7. sbrennan007

Torsion Bars adjusted and Timbrens installed. This pic has the full weight of the plow on the suspension:

front timbrens.jpg

8. sbrennan007

Side view after Torsion Bar adjustments:

9. sbrennan007

Sorry. Forgot pic:

timbrens2.jpg