1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cranked t-bar comparison

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by pj550v12, Dec 27, 2007.

1. pj550v12

pj550v12 Junior Member
    from CT

Well the grass isn't growing, and its sure not snowing so I finally have time to introduce myself to the site and post a few pics. Cranked the t-bars on my truck, the white one, 10 times. The gray truck (10elawncare) at the time hadn't cranked his any he has since then though. Pretty awesome what just a few cranks can do to the whole look of the truck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

Good pics!

My F150 came up 2" so now it sits level front to rear and im sure carries the plow better that when it was at stock ride height/tension.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

????? not sure i understand why you crank the t bars.....it's going to ride rougher and be harder to get in and out of, and it will also be out of alignment.

4. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I do the same on my truck, 3 turns and it helps alot..I plow maybe 5-10 plow events a year so i'm sure no damage will occur...Then in april they go back to factory

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i did it on one of our dedicated plow trucks too, but i didn't see any plows on the trucks in the pics.

6. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

You better get an alignment on that deal or say goodby to those front tires.

7. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I plow around here and maybe put 1,000 miles on my truck in the winter so with the 5min it takes to turn them up 3 turns ...Thats all i will ever do to the front..
    Total cost=jack 0
    3/4 wrench 0...Make sense to me UNLESS YOU DRIVE ALOT .

8. pj550v12

pj550v12 Junior Member
    from CT

I dont know why everyone is saying it rides rougher. I like the ride better now, its smoother, and less harsh seeing as to how the front springs aren't as compressed and offer more travel. As far as alignment goes, I put so few miles on my truck every year that I'm not really that concerned. If I notice uneven wear then perhaps I will do it but so far so good.
    The silver truck in the picture is actually 10elawncare's truck (member on the forums) and there is now a plow on it, along with timbrens and about 6 cranks of the t-bars. Mine, is strictly for looks lol.

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I fixed your post. :)

I cranked my bars too, they will go back to stock in the spring, I dont like paying for more fuel then I need too.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  10. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

well, since i did mine i have had 0 problems. tires are fine and i have plowed and put quite a few miles on it. i might crank them back down 1 or 2. but the truck drives fine, rides fine and everything else. havent had any increase or decrease in MPG.

11. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

12. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

I am going to get mine cranked then realigned.......can’t see how the gas mileage should change…….but I can see get the truck realigned..

13. pj550v12

pj550v12 Junior Member
    from CT

gas mileage has not changed, ride has not changed, and milage has not changd, so far so good guys!

14. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Now you need one of these babies!
    [​IMG]
    $2350! Complete! 508 753 6617

15. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Its also a great way to tear the ball joints out
    Lou

16. Can someone explain why its so hard on the front end to crank to the bars? On my truck, the camber on the front tires is slightly off.. sitting a little like this / \ .. would crank the t bars fix that? Thanks guys

17. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

It increases the angle of the CV joints and puts a lot more twist in the T-bars if you do it too much they can snap...it also can throw the truck out of alignment...i have no idea if that would fix your problem...i just know i like my truck a lot better with mine cranked, 6 turns on mine.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, turning the T-bars up will only make your camber issue worse, you either need an alignment...or a ball joint replacement or both.

If you want to research on the torsion bar/ IFS suspension on these trucks, head over to the Chevy truck forum and search: "T-bars" or Torsion bars" or "turning T-bars"..you'll find tons of answers to your T-bar questions.

19. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Cranking the bars doesn't stress the bars themselves with no plow. It stresses everything else. If the suspension tries to bottom out with the bars cranked, that will stress the bars. You need to add extended bump stops or timbrens to prevent over twisting the bars.

20. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

I have timbrens on the front. i will probably crank them back down 1 or 2 in the summer. i just hit 36100 miles today no more warranty! :cry: that sucks.