1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crank no start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevyzrule810, Oct 19, 2012.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 87 k10 with a 5.0 TBI motor.i has been running fine since may but now that I'm selling it it won't start.The battery is good I tested it.It will run on starting fluid but once it's burned off it wont run.I started doing some testing and found the fuel pump was getting power but not running.I dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump,strainer and rubber lines that run to the steel fuel lines.I then removed the fuel line at the throttle body and cranked it and got fuel to come out into a bottle but still won't start.Any ideas I have a buyer just the truck has to run to sell it!

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

1st, take it easy on using the starter fluid to run it. Damage to engine can occur.

I assume you have checked all related fuses?

Next step would be to test your injector. They do make inexpensive tester for it you can probably pick up at NAPA . I believe the one with larger prongs is for the TBI system and the smaller ones are for the older port systems.

It will ,or should, blink in pulses as you turn the key showing if you are getting power to the injector. The next step would be to pull the injector itself and either have it bench tested/cleaned or replace it.

How old is the gas as well?

Here is a picture of the testers I used back when I had the older GM's.

Good luck.

noid testers.jpg

noid testers.jpg

3. chevyzrule810

Yes all fuses have been checked.The gas is only a few weeks old.

4. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Replace module in the dizzy, if that doesnt work replace the coolant temp sensor in the intake.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the ecm temp sensor...next to the t-stat, not the head

6. chevyzrule810

How do I go about repairing these? one of these things could keep the truck from starting?

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You said it will start with starting fluid, correct?
    Before you go replacing sensors, which on a 87 there are not many, please check your injector at the TBI like I suggested. Just replacing sensors can not only get costly it is the wrong way to do things. That is like saying , replace the motor it will help. :dizzy:

I also recommend putting some gasoline in a spray bottle and using that instead of starting fluid.

8. chevyzrule810

All fixed took one of the fuel lines off the throttle body cranked it but back on and it started right up! Must have been air bound