1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crank mounted chelsea PTO - Air shift

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by RIsnowman22, Dec 6, 2011.

1. RIsnowman22

RIsnowman22 Junior Member

I have a crank mounted chelsea pto which powers my sander and I am wondering what the process is for engaging the pto via the air shift. Can if be engaged with the motor running or should if be engaged before the motor is started?

2. LaytonTruck

LaytonTruck Junior Member

If it is in fact driven off the crank shaft it is live all the time (shouldn't have switch to engage). If it is air shirt then it is mounted on the transmission. If it is a automatic transmission then you can engage it while the truck is running if it is a Standard transmission then you will want to push in the clutch before engaging

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My crank mounted pump has an air shifter and you can put it in gear with the truck running. I agree with everything else you said. This is the only front pump we have owned so I'm not sure what others were like. The truck is a 2007.

4. RIsnowman22

RIsnowman22 Junior Member

the driveshaft is attached to the crank on one side and a chelsea pto on the other, which in turn drives the actual pump. The driveshaft spins all the time and the pump only pumps when the pto is shifted on with the air shift. This setup is all out in front and has nothing to do with the transmission. Can I shift the pto on with the air shift when the truck is running? It seems like if would not be a good thing to do...Let me know.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your setup is the same as mine and I do. I don't think they would design a system that made you shut the truck off every time you needed to use the hydro's.

6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Actually they do, or did. I have a chelsea PTO mounted on the front of my crank. 1981 live hydraulics. Truck does not have air. There is a cable that I can engage or disengage from the cab. I can disengage when the motor is running, but not engage. Truck has to be off for the gears to mesh. It's absolutely absurd. Generally when I plow, the pump is engaged full time.

7. LON

LON Senior Member

There are 2 different styles of Chelsea air shifted front PTO's. One would be a 2440 style with an air-shifter added and this one would need to be shifted before the engine is started.
    The one it most likely is is the 2230 Hot-shift PTO and it can be engaged any time air pressure is above 90psi. Have lots of experience with this unit if you have more questions.

DSC00158.jpg

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I had a 1990 Oshkosh that had a cable also. I was talking air operated with a front pump but I guess I was wrong there also because Lon says you can get it either way.