1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crank down snowbear winch

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by sgustaf59, Jan 22, 2016.

1. sgustaf59

sgustaf59 Junior Member

Hi, new to forum. I have ~2011 snowbear and I went to go use it in this storm and the winch is dead. Is there any way to manually lower it. If I could get it down a few inches it would be good enough for now until I can fix it right. I think the older ones came with a crank, but this does not have one.

2. J.onathan

J.onathan Junior Member

I got a snowbear as well, bought it with a cooked winch. I replaced mine with a stronger aftermarket winch.

I wasnt able to get mine to let out any more strap either... You could unbolt the strap where it attaches to the lower A frame. and use a comealong or ratchet strap to hold it in the up position for travel.

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, I know a guy that does this cause he got no winch, has been doing it for years.

4. sgustaf59

sgustaf59 Junior Member

That's a great idea, thanks.

5. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

Are you sure it's the winch that's dead, not the controller? You could try hot wiring the winch with jumper cables, just to be sure.

6. sgustaf59

sgustaf59 Junior Member

Thanks, that is exactly what I did, no dice. Does anyone know if there is a diagram out there that shows how the thing is built?

7. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

I guess nobody has a diagram. I have heard that people replace the winch with one from Harbor Freight for $50 or so. Maybe get a new one, then take apart your old one and see how it works.

Or just take yours apart, and if you can't fix it then go get the new one.

Either way, let us know what you find out please.

8. sgustaf59

sgustaf59 Junior Member

I will let you know, unfortunately the motor can't be delivered by FedEx because of all the snow!

9. sgustaf59

sgustaf59 Junior Member

Well, I have learned something important. There is the old winch style based on a superwinch, and a new one based on the sp 3000. Seems like mine was the sp 3000 based model even though it had a superwinch decal on it. Now I have a nice $80 motor/paper weight. Considering just getting a Champion 13004 and adapting it to fit the snowbear. Some guy in the Amazon reviews adapted one for a K2 and says it is fine. In the end it will be about $200 with the mistake, still less than buying it from snowbear.

10. sgustaf59

sgustaf59 Junior Member

The new winch came in last weekend and I installed it. Really easy, was able to use the supplied plate and drilled two new holes in it for attaching with 3/8 high strength bolts to the plow frame. Stuck the eyelet they provide where the u-bolt used to be and put a bolt through underneath to hold it in place. Spliced in the old snowbear electrical quick connects so that it is easy to remove and attach as needed. I ended up drilling through the firewall to mount the control module in the Jeep. The whole thing from start to finish was a few hours, and most of that was to make sure I did the right spot going through the firewall. The new winch works better than the original and if it breaks I can easily replace for $100.

[​IMG]

11. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

Nice work. Thanks for sharing it.