1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Craigslist

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by M&M, Nov 17, 2008.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I just did a search in New Hampshire Craiglist for plowing and wow, did I find some winners. First of all, there were over 100 posts for the last 5 days. The good news is that they were all over the state. The even better news is that 75% of the postings were either poorly worded, had spelling & grammar mistakes, or you could tell they were never going to show up. Seriously, if my customers saw those postings they would sign 5 year contracts. Just my 2 cents. Oh yeah, the best one was "I will beat your lowest quote by 20% guaranteed (within reason.)" What?:dizzy:

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

There are some good ones here in the Cleveland Craigslist also. Usually they cant put a simple 6 word sentence together that makes sense, and usually a few spelling mistakes. HACKS are all they are. $199 for the season and even a few that are $125 for the season. My normal residential contract is $35 for a single lane. I would be losing money after the 3rd plow. No way these guys are making money. Last year alone we serviced are residential 24 times on two inch trigger... I like the last part about beating the lowest quote by 20% quranteed (within reason): what an idiot some people are....:realmad:

3. scitown

scitown Senior Member

"within reason" HAHA he is afraid of the other craiglist lowballers. He has a point though. How do you beat FREE by 20%. :)

4. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

thats why I flag them....:cool: :gunsfiring:

5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

The problem is that alot of legit posts get flagged on craigslist as well. It makes it a wierd game of planning when to post and how to post. I used to post a bit on craigslist, but nothing ever came from it and the often got flagged.

6. Griffinlc

Griffinlc Junior Member

I'm going to hire this guy to plow our shop. I wonder if I get 20% off of my cost or would it just be 20% off of my own quote ? With the savings I could treat my crew to a cup of coffee, while we watch him plow the yard. AWESOME!!

7. M&M

M&M Senior Member

As long as it's "within reason" you are all set.

8. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

M&M, you should find out who he has for contracts and place a bid for $5.00 haha.

9. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Most of these "slack-jaws" live in the woods and are not competition. I ran an old 95 1/2 ton for 5 years in the high end neighborhoods and I'm sure the other guys thought I was the slack-jaw. My idea is to work smarter not harder.

10. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Craig's List = SCAMS

11. Sdyer1357

Sdyer1357 Junior Member

Maybe all in the state of New Hampshire should Yield to the great M&M

12. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Now you're talking! Sdyer, where are you in our great state?

13. Sdyer1357

Sdyer1357 Junior Member

Rochester NH, I guess i am in the back woods? LOL

14. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Nah, you guys just like to hold up political offices then get into jail house fights. LOL

15. Sdyer1357

Sdyer1357 Junior Member

I plowed for a town in Maine for 5 years.
    I also own and run a Construction business for twenty three years.

I sucked in School as a kid, my grammar stinks and i can not spell without spell checker

I live in the back woods and this year i attached a plow to one of my trucks and posted in craigslist in order to get me and mine through a slow tough winter

I guess i qualify as a "Slack Jaw"

16. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Well now that you put it that way...Kidding. We all love spell check and that's the crazy thing. Why wouldn't someone use it (and grammar check) when creating something that will make them money? I wish you all the best of luck this winter.

17. Sdyer1357

Sdyer1357 Junior Member

Thanks M&M, I think i will need it. The Masonry Business slows to a stop in this cold weather. We tried laying bricks out in the open in Portsmouth today, couldn't lay them fast enough. The mortar was freezing up on us. Time for cold weather admix. . TIME FOR SNOW! Be well Steve.

18. abclawns

abclawns Member

Sdyer, you want to talk back woods Im up the road aways from you in Ossipee. Everytime I go to the grocery store its like Im at a circus with all the freaks. Haha I love it though.

19. hiwayherbie

hiwayherbie Junior Member

I think I have you all beat I'm way out in the sticks in Greenfield. Hell I even have the punkin chucker down the street from me:jester:

20. Sdyer1357

Sdyer1357 Junior Member

Soooooo M&M It looks like you are out numbered by us "Slack Jaws" hahaha! Peace