1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Craftsmanship?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by site, Dec 8, 2000.

1. site

site Member

Other than moving snow off the pavement, not killing the equipment,getting done on time, and not hitting too many cars what do you consider good craftsmanship?

2. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Showing up on time on a snow morning in a good mood ready to go to work.Not whining about what truck you drive.Bringing a coat and gloves and boots so that you don't have to stand around the shop while everyone else makes the final touches on the trucks. Remembering what you were told the last time you plowed,getting your own truck back in service,finishing the night when one wing on your plow quits working,Calling me before I have to call you,Keeping accurate track of your time,remembering what wrong with your truck and writing down so it can be fixed for the next snow,Not being to slow but being fast enough,staying in contact more than once every four hours,no snow infront of dumpster doors,cleaning curb to curb,squaring out your corners,telling me you hit someone before I hear it from them,don't hit anyone,running a plow at its peek efficency and yet not being hard on it,being available,being available,being available.

3. muddog

muddog Junior Member

i am new to the discussion and i am enjoying reading the questions and posts. i have been plowing for several years and have built a good client relationship. i am a 1 truck(79 bronco/7.5 foot meyers) operation and tried to never get more jobs than i could handle as promised. i always performed maintenance more than recommended so i would not be caught short. this year i am taking it easy because i have other obligations. when informing my clients that i would not be plowing this season(but referring them to another contractor with a good record),they were very hesistant to call another plower because of the service they had received from me. they tried to offer me more money to keep their account(very tempting) but i had to cut back this year. it made me feel good that i had done such a good job that they did not want to let me go. it just shows that if you do a good job the customers do remember.

4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I like your attitude and your work ethic.

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Jones.

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i think you must be dreaming dig the only one to accomplish your list in full would be the owner

6. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I know, but we owners can dream can't we,and if you don't know what the standard is how can you know when you achive perfection.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

That my lots are all black and wet, while my competition is still spreading sand for traction on snow packed lots. Further education is the key to raise your level of service and craftsmanship.
    Thank You SIMA
    Dino

8. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

While the other guys stop at simply plowing their parking lots, we ensure that all snow is off of the pavement by scraping it down with our skid loader and trimming out curbs, parking areas, drives, etc. My pet peave that trail of 'crumbs' that most plowers leave behind. One of my guys gives me crap for being 'anal' and for the 'overkill', but it's not his reputation or ass on the line for being known for the quality of work. In fact, most clients don't mind paying for the extra work if they believe that they are receiving quality service and attention.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

SAFETY QUALITY SPEED
    Follow those three items in anything you do, and you will get craftsmanship. The main reason most guys dont do all the detail work, is that they under charge for services, and have to cut corners to make any money. So make sure you charge accordingly for what you do.
    Dino

10. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Really. Never thought of that.