1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Craftsman plows

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by vis, Dec 19, 2005.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Those of you with craftsman plows, 2 questions..

Do you leave the mount on year round and just take the plow off with the one pin, or unbolt it from the assembly.

Next, ive heard it discussed, but anyone buy a moldboard from sears and bolt like 6 inches or maybe more on each side of the blade? 42 inches barley clears the rear wheels right now.

2. 88XJ_FF

88XJ_FF Junior Member
    from Iowa

I just sold my craftsman lawnmower w/blade last week. It worked well. The angle cable broke so I had to do it by hand. I took off the metal wear bar and put 3/4" plastic. It saved the lawn alot from getting tore up. Leave the mount on. You are supposed to. Just release the plow with the pin or two that its held on by.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

The first year I had my John Deere (same set up as Craftsman), I took the whole sytem off. Come winter, two hours later it was all back on! Now I just take the blade off, if I do anything to it at all as I use it solely for plowing!

4. danno

danno Senior Member

I was the guy who had a craftsman plow, and bought another moldboard. I cut it in half and used a couple of bolts on each sideto attach it. Turned it into an 8FT blade. Worked great in about 2-3 inches. Then after that, I just spun the wheels.

5. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

well 8t ft is a little over kill i would think, that is a truck sized blade...i was thinking making it a little wider to be able to scrape outside the wheels, maybe like a 5-6 ft blade lol

6. jasf

jasf Member

I just pull the two pins on the blade.

7. LEVE

LEVE Member

I pull the blade assembly off each year, wrap it in a tarp and set it on a couple of cinder blocks for the summer.

As for the width...it works for me up to about 9" and then there's cussin' and frustration. I use weights and chains on the rear tires (left on all year). Next year I'll be adding additional weight as I'm plowing a 300' driveway with 75' of it on a hill and a 70'X40' parking area.

8. danno

danno Senior Member

Well, if you`ve got a 10ft wide driveway,it worked pretty good. Don`t forget. Its not a truck blade in weight or height. It reduced the number of passes I had to make.

9. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

i see what your saying, but just another 6-10 inches on either side of the blade would help me out alot in heavier snow falls.

10. jasf

jasf Member

You don't want to add anything in heavier snowfalls.I'd like to add more myself to speed up the job,but I know what I bought & and just have to accept what Sears supplies. The tractor is only made to do so much. If it's a dedicated snow machine modify the heck out of it,but if you depend on it year round be reasonable with your mods.

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Trust me, don't stress anything on those little plow tractors. I am on my third tranny in the last three years right now (5th overall). I can change them in no time with so much practice!:cry: :dizzy: