1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cracking driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Jul 1, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hey guys.... Only a few more months before season hits...

Im just wondering, have any of you guys ever been accused of cracking a driveway with your plow? If so, how common is it for a plow to crack a driveway, and if so, why does this happen?

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i doubt plowing could crack a drive. its it concrete or asphalt?
    if your plowed weighed about 6,000 lbs and you dropped it then you might crack it.

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Even at 6000#s you would have a hard time cracking anything with the size of the cutting edge (7' minimum). Maybe if you had one pointed plow shoe in the middle of the blade. :rolleyes:
    Is this a complaint from a customer or just there fear ?
    Todd

4. PremierLand

from detroit

my neighbor across the street said "dont plow my driveway because one time I had a guy crack my driveway with his plow"... so it just got me thinking, but I dont belive him because ive never heard of this before

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mark, I'd have to guess that you're neighbor has a concrete driveway that was poorly constructed. I suppose it's possible, but I know I've dropped my 9' Fisher (not exactly a light weight plow) repeatedly on the same spot of my garage floor with no damage.

Just figure his is one driveway you won't be doing. Just note existing cracks as you could catch them and lift a chunk with your plow. But causing cracking is not likely on properly mixed, poured and cared for concrete. I recommend taking pictures in the Fall.

6. PremierLand

from detroit

right on.... I was just wondering if this was even possible. I wont be doing his driveway anyway this winter I dont think, hes moving.

I cant wait for it to snow. It'll be funny going to school when theres a snowstorm with my plow on. Maybe I can get some kind of extra credit if I plow the school parking lot. I already work for 10 teachers at my school.

But hey guys thanks for the replys. Time to go BBQ!!!

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It is possible to catch a frost seam on concrete or even worse and seam or edge on asphalt. I lifted a large section of asphalt once. I don't think you would see a crack occurr from dropping the blade.