1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cracked Unimount?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mark13, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

We are working on my friends western unimount. It is currently all disassembled and we are prepping it for new paint. We just looked at the hole for the center pin on the very front of the A frame and noticed a V shapped crank facing directly forwards (straight into the moldboard). Is this supposed to be there from when they built the A frame or is this a crack that needs to be fixed?

I'd get a pic but I don't have my camera with.

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I am try figure what you say.

Here pic that what you talk about those where pin go in it?

[​IMG]

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Umm, that's a boss rt3 mount and that's not the a frame either.

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

my mistake.

Is this western unimount?

[​IMG]

5. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I think he's talking about the pivot bolt hole in the a-frame. If so, there should not be a crack there, but this seems to be a common issue on uni-mounts. I've seen 3 that i can recall with this same problem. I'd guess that it's caused by backdragging.

Is it where the arrow is pointing?

uni1.PNG

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Nope, that crack isnt supposed to be there. Pretty common after several years to find that the holes have been hogged out or that the top plate is cracked.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, but I'm talking about the A frame that the angle cylinders and chain hooks to. Goes all the way from the moldboard all the way back then hooks to the truck mount.

This is a meyer A frame but the closest I could find to show what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Alright guys, thanks. We figured it wasn't supposed to be there but figured we would check before fixing something that wasn't broke.

(Now I gotta go home and look at mine.. eek)

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats where they always break Mark. Vee it out good and weld'er up. She'll be good for years to come. :waving:

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds good. We'll weld up my friend while its apart. Now I gotta go look at mine sometime before the snow comes around. Mine should be fun since its not disassembled.

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

remove excess slop at that joint as it can cause your rams to overextend and tear up the internal limiting stop rings ( correct terms?) and packing material and send it throughout your system.