1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cracked the back of my bed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chesterlawn, Feb 17, 2010.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

I have a 1999 z71,I guess when I was backing up I hit a pile of snow pretty hard.The back of my bed, behind the rear tire cracked. How do I fix that , I think the beds are plastic?
  2. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Prolly found some bondo work done to his truck.
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

bed damage

i don't think they had composite bed's in 99 if it looks like plastic might be a bed liner .otherwise you might be able to carefully weld it with .023 high strength mig wire ,but look underneath for other damage . :salute:
  5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Should be 100% metal

photo would help..
  6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

If it looks cracked I would agree you must have found a big chunk of body filler or bondo on your truck
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I was going to say congratulations but it was the wrong bed you cracked.
  8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a step side? If so then the sides are composite and fixable. It's repaired just like fiberglass. Vee the cracks out, glass over and behind it (if there's access) and continue with normal body work.
  10. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I am not sure what year is was but gm did offer a plastic box for a fleetside. It was suppose to be more forgiving than the steel beds. And the stepsides and dually trucks have a plastic box sides.

Just found it. GM called it the pro-tec box. They say it is made of a composite material. Lighter than steel. I am not sure how many years this was offered.