1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cracked my A-Frame 810

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by canoebuildah, Nov 4, 2010.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I brought my 810 (bought in 2007) in for a winter service and new cutting edge and found out that my A-Frame is cracked. Dealer gave me two options: weld in place for about $200 but no guarantee as to how long it will last or new A-frame installed for $750. There is a third option which is remove A-frame from plow, strip parts, sandblast and do a full weld and repaint but he said that will cost almost as much as a new A-frame.

I plow three miles of gravel road, including 0.8 miles of a foot path converted to an access road. Lots of exposed rocks and roots and twisting around trees and buildings. Plus two houses and a farm.

I am not a professional plower, I am a operations manager for a summer camp so I take my time and plow with the storms. Over the last few years, I have been having our excavator operator remove as many of the rocks as are realistic from the road bed but there are some big pieces of ledge that can't be removed.

My inclination is to have him replace the A-frame but budget money is tight this year.

Has anyone else cracked their A-frame and if so, how did you deal with it?

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Yes, mine cracked last year. Through it on a frame rack at a body shop, they chained the plow down, and jacked on the plow fram to get it to squeeze back together. I had them put a couple tack welds on it to hold it in place, and took it home and blazed it in. Only cost me 50 bucks at the body shop, took less then an hr. I spent another couple hrs on it at home welding and bracing. Pretty easy fix in my case, but i dont know if yours is broke the same as mine or not.

3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Pictures of the crack might help.

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

If you own a plow long enough, you should get to know a good welder, or become one yourself.

I'd just weld it up, myself.

5. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I know a good welder, he owns a shop that also sells Blizzard plows. He is primarily a welder and a damned good one a that.

As far as myself, I wish my local adult ed program would offer a welding class as I would really like to learn that skill.