1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cracked hinges question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gc3, Mar 27, 2015.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I've got a 8'2 steel vxt. My dealer was telling me that I've got a cracked hinge on the center section, that the center hinge pin drops through, and another on a hinge on the drivers wing. I was wondering if you can just weld these back together or is it better to replace it cause it might break again next season. I had a crack on the drivers wing last season where a hinge connected to the wing, and they welded it but it broke loose again this winter. That's a lot of money for a wing and center piece. I suppose I could turn it into insurance if needed but wanted to get your opinions first. Not to mention this guys out to make money also. Thanks

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

INS....? Good luck

Its common on boss to break the hinge.

3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

What do most people do with the cracked hinges, repair or replace? Do they usually break again if they're welded on?

4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Honestly never seen it, I've got 8 boss plows. Of course they are poly too so that changes. I've had my old mvp crack, but it's old.

Op take it to a welding shop, have it welded.

5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

We just fixed (welded) our boss. It had broke back in the winter, we did a quick weld on it and didn't hold very long. This time we took it apart, cleaned up all the edges and got good weld on it.

6. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Was it a hinge that broke? I know when something usually breaks/cracks on these most people weld it but didn't know if that would hold on a hinge. On my center section it's just one hinge there and wasn't sure if they welded it and it broke again if that would cause major issues next season like leaving it inoperable

7. LapeerLandscape

Drivers side blade half that the pin goes through, also replaced the pin as it was bent. Take it apart so you can clean it up good and it can welded back together.

8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

How did it break, did you hit something?

9. LapeerLandscape

I am sure it was a snow pile or curb but I wasn't in the truck.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Holy crap, you've never had one break? Must be the poly.

Back when we had Boss, they broke pretty much every year.

Never replaced a wing or center section, you can do a lot of welding for what new parts cost.

PS The new ones will break too.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

We've replaced a center section on a v.
    But then I abused it.
    As for the drivers side wing.
    A 15lb sledge and some hot glue and I got 18 years out of my boss.

It think i might scrap it out this summer.
    Only a sucker would buy it.

They all break, they all have issues.
    If your going to be in the snow business for any length time,
    Get a welder and learn how to use it.

12. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I just looked at it and told the dealer to weld them up. The lower tab on the center pin broke loose, the first lower hinge on drivers wing broke and was pulling away from the wing. Then the next hinge up on drivers cracked on the backside. He said there was hardly anything holding it on roughly. Each one was working it's way on up. He said if I had a DXT I wouldn't have that cause of the trip edge.

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Never. Talked to two other guys in town, one had a steel flat top crack once. Between the 3 of us that's 25-30 plows, no poly cracks, welds etc, one steel crack.

That being said one of the contractors has one poly they dropped from 10' in the air and its bent, as in the far ends don't touch the ground at all, but he still runs it.

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=126655&highlight=broken+vee+wing

Boss sells the parts that need to be welded back on its so common.

15. LapeerLandscape

I have know heard of 3 that like this and all have been drivers side.

16. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    here's the center piece welded

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  17. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Here's the lower one welded.

18. LapeerLandscape

Now paint it up and sell it, that's what I'm going to do.

19. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yeah, normally they clean it up before I get it back. It looks like crap. I thought about selling it after all this crap and getting a DXT next winter lol

20. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I'm in the same boat.

boss.jpg