1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cracked header...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Grn Mtn, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

don't laugh cause i'm definately not a gear head and the correct lingo escapes me, but i have been getting excess exhaust noise for a while but until the warning lights have been coming on lately (i ignored them for a while because sometimes in the real cold weather sensors trip) it wasn't until yesterday i decided to look into it. well while i was changing the oil i saw where its coming from. the pipes that come right off the engine and go to the exhaust has a crack in it. called the dealer and am going in on thursday to get it fixed. unfortuneatly they don't stock that and won't pre order it until they see it:realmad:

we have a ice storm coming tonight and a nor'easter on friday so i hope they can get this done in one day.

i have 46000 miles should i also have the plugs and wires changed?

also noticed tranny fluid leaking from the tranny pan??? bummer.

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

My guess is they wont have it done in time for your storms. It will probably take a couple days just to get the part. I dont think a crack in the exhaust manifold would cause a check engine light unless it was messing with the O2 sensor somehow.

Do the Hemi's have factory headers or do they use a cast manifold?

Have them fix the trans pan while they are waiting for the part to come in.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your on the right track as thats exactly what it does.

Any leak upstream of the primary O2 sensor(s) can affect the readings that the O2 is seeing due to extra oxygen content in the exhaust caused by the leak.

Will usually set a fuel trim mixture code in that instance.

4. NBI Lawn

Makes sense. I was thinking a crack that far forward would only allow the exhaust gas to go out and not let any oxygen back in.

Sounds good to me :salute:

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The gases do escape from the leak of course like your thinking, but an engine thats expelling exhaust into a common plenum (like a manifold) will also "pulse" the gases as they're being expelled from the cylinder head due to more than one cylinder expelling into a common chamber. So not only does it push exhaust gases out of the leak, it also pulls oxygen back in as well, affecting the sensor reading in the process.

6. Grn Mtn

yes i believe that is one of the codes that have been popping on and off.

how hard is it to change the front rear diff fluid? is it just like oil, pull plug-drain-refill?

7. NBI Lawn

Have to pull the diff covers off, reseal them. There is a fill plug on them though.

8. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Are they covering it under warranty? The cracked manifold that is?

9. Grn Mtn

well, so far so good, they say they are, best part is I stopped by today and pleaded with the service writer to pre-order the part- yeah right like they actually would do that:dizzy: BUT they did OMG its a freakin miracle.

changing the plugs is $220 and the diffs are $100 something each for the dealer to do it. I know I can do the plugs I just have to set aside 4 hours, but I didn't know whats involved for the differentials

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You can do the diffs! Brake clean, gasket scraper, permatex/silicone, synthetic gear lube, and don't forget posi/limited slip additive for the rear if needed. You should be into both diffs for $50 plus your time. By the way don't use the brake clean IN the diff, squigee it out with your finger also, clean the magnet. Good luck

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They have to cover the exhaust manifold as it falls under the federally mandated 6 year, 80,000 mi emissions warranty coverage.

12. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

That's why I asked. Some of the bolts rusted off on my Ford and they covered it under that.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely, big brother says no to any pre cat exhaust leaks..no matter what the dealers wants you to believe so don't allow them to make you pay for it out of your pocket.

14. Grn Mtn

update

okay so I dropped the truck off at the dealer yesterday and I was right, I did have a hole in the tranny PAN, not the gasket like the service writer thought it may have been.

anyway, both the pan is covered under the powertrain warranty, and the exhaust manifold is covered under the fed emissions warranty. However there is a $100 deductible for the exhaust because I am over 36,000 miles.

I did allow the tranny to get some service work done on it since they had it already open, not sure 100% what they are doing there I will find that out when I pick it up but its going to only cost about $100.

I did have to wait till today to pick it up because they broke some bolts, they blamed that on the fact that I plow:rolleyes: whatever.

15. Grn Mtn

I think I will do the diffs myself (sounds easy enough), they wanted $100+ each and they also wanted $230 for the plugs, so I will do that myself also.

16. Grn Mtn

picked it up..

okay got the truck back in time for tonights storm:bluebounc

turns out they had to replace 10 bolts from the tranny case and tap a couple from the cylinder head:eek: That must have sucked, I feel bad for the tech.

-the only thing that slightly eerks me $137 for a transmission service.(an hours labor and $43 for the tranny oil and $25 for the filters) I say slightly because I'm sure Dodge isn't going to reimburse for the time spent tapping out broken bolts, but to replace the rotted tranny pan under warranty should have also included the oil, and an hour to replace 2 filters?

Well all said and done, $277 to fix what was broke in a day 1/4 not too shabby.