1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cracked frames

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jryden145, Oct 1, 2006.

1. jryden145

jryden145 Member

hey i was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with there duramaxs cracking frames. The reason i ask is because we have had bad luck with chevys before, a 1993 light duty 3/4 ton w/western mvp, cracked, and also our 1999 3500 srw w/boss 8'2" has a cracked frame, we do aprox. 80 drives and 15 commercial so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I've never heard of anyone ever having that problem before. Maybe your best bet is to ask that question on DieselPlace.com because they would no for sure if that has happened.

3. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

The only one I ever heard of wasn't a Chevy, it was 99 Dodge 1 ton.

4. Ripple

Ripple Member

Your first post on the plowsite is about a chevy cracked frame?

Do you have pictures?

5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

ive not heard of it on the new chevys it was a 98-88 chevy problem

6. jryden145

jryden145 Member

I will try to get some pics of the cracks that are in the frame of the 1999 chevy 3500.

7. Ripple

Ripple Member

The first Duramax was in a 2001 model year truck...so I think you are very confused...maybe it was a ford or dodge!

8. jryden145

jryden145 Member

Nope im not confused at all. I kow that our 99 is not a duramax, im asking if anyone that has a duramax has had any issues with the frames cracking because we are going to purchase a new truck to plow with.

Thanks

9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

This is really suprising to me. This is the first that I have heard of the frames cracking on the late model GM trucks. I have seen 1 88 Chevy that the frame had rusted through in a couple of spots and the 73-87 GMs were known to have a frame crack down near the steering box.

Will

10. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

I know the FORD f-150's have had the problem with bending and cracking in 1997and 2006.

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Thanks TNT!:mad:

12. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

My neighbor who is a engineer on the 2007 says maybe they got it fixed again there is a rail yard full of frames here in K.C..

13. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

William on the other site Allen has pictures of a frame he fixed. Do a search and look at the pics.

14. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I have seen the frame rails on a 1987 GMC 1-ton crack, but I have no idea how much abuse the truck was dealt. It had an 8' Fisher with a snow foil on it, and a dump insert in the bed, so I know it was worked. It probably had a sander in the bed during the winter.
    I'm going with the dump insert as the cause though. I figure if it was bounced a few times to help empty it that would place a lot more load on the frame.
    The cracks were in the area of the fuel tanks. When I got the truck one side had already been repaired. I think it was after I loaded about 3,000 lbs of shingles in the bed the other side, which already had had some small cracks, that it finally let go. I repaired that with a piece of angle.
    BTW, I am pretty sure that the rust didn't help either.

But, all this is still not the newer, hydroformed frame design, so it has no bearing on the actual question.

15. joe b

joe b Junior Member

put a ton and a half on a one ton truck, let me think. hmmm.
    just jokingwesport

16. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have a 1989 2500 that we ripped the frame open about 2 years ago. I think rust had also contributed to that but there was no way that thing was holding up the new Blizzard plow we stuffed on it. Welded it up and just use it for sanding now.

I do have an 04 2500HD and noticed yesterday that there seems to be a hairline crack in it right behind the upper control arm mount - right beside the factory weld. I am oging ot get it into a welding shop for them to have a better look.

:cry:

17. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Jhook

Good luck with that--Let us know how you make out!

18. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, so there was a bit of a crack there. Followed the weld over the corner and then started accross the top of the frame. I took it to a professional welder. He looked at it and said, no problem. 10 minutes later I was on my way home. Hoping I caught it early enough that it is fixed.

19. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Are you saying your neighbor is a engineer on the GMT 900, and if so what is he dooing in KC. We have no plants anywhere near KC that buils full size GM trucks. Fort Wayne Ind, Pontiac MI, A plant in Texas but none in KC.

Regards Mike

20. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Broken Frames

I broke the frame on the truck I currently plow with 2 years ago... 1992 Chevy 3500 srw,... it broke right behind the front wheel, breaking thru the round hole that is in the frame that is used by frame machines to "grab" the frame when straightening or re-aligning it. I have a good friend that has worked for years in a body shop, & he told me that the only trucks they saw with broken/cracked frames were the 1-tons, and almost every time, the owners had cranked up the torsion bars. (Speaking only about Chevys & GMC's). It was his opinion that hanging a plow on the front & cranking up the torsion bars made the front suspension so stiff, that when driving down the road & during the "bounce" of hitting dips, etc., instead of the suspension absorbing the load, it was transfered to the frame, with the front tires acting as the "fulcrum" point, and the downward momentum on the front was trying to lift the rest of the back of the truck up in the air, which would cause the crack/break to occur right behind the front wheels. (Made sense to me). In any case, I had no choice but to strip the entire front end down & try to re-align & repair this myself, which I did. Took me 3 days of grinding, aligning, welding, etc., of both sides, adding gussets to the frame all the way around it, for at least 6 inches both forward & behind of where it broke. And I've watched it closely... & for the past 2 years, it's been fine,... the truck still drives & steers straight, & no unusual tire wear, so must have got it fairly close. Anyone with a Chevy/GMC & cranked up torsion bars, would do well to keep a close eye on their frames,.. especially in the area shown... it's alot easier to deal with before it gets as bad as what I had to deal with,... :dizzy: Good luck. :waving:

Broken Frame (Small).JPG