1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cracked frame

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by tyke, Feb 14, 2011.

1. tyke

tyke Junior Member

anyone else have a problem with a broken frame near the main pivot bolt on an ex 80,approx 2 years old,only used 1 winter,light duty.

pictures attached

mike

2011_0214mikes0037.jpg

2011_0214mikes0038.jpg

2011_0214mikes0039.jpg

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That was only used 1 winter? Do you store it in a salt water storage tank?

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Did you do backdrag?

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Ish. But its a easy weld job. I would email scott as he likes seeing this stuff.

5. tyke

tyke Junior Member

Just part of living on the east coast of canada,i actually thought it was holding up pretty good for plowing in nova scotia,no need to plow to have things rust here,just parked in the yard will do.

The crack is not from rust however,as the rust you see is surface only,it is definitly a stress crack.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

No doubt it was from stress, but there is a lot of rust on the a-frame and pistons. We have plenty of salt up here as well, but a proper cleaning after use and some PB Blaster/Fluid Film will really help that out. Best of luck getting it fixed.

7. Milwaukee

You not answer my question

Did you do backdrag with that plow?

8. tyke

tyke Junior Member

I do not do any back-bladding other then in front of a few garage doors to pull out the few feet of snow i can not get to with my usual plowing,there is no back blade attachment on plow

i did not own the truck/plow last year,so can not say what was done then,i have looked at the plow regularly well greasing and oiling moving parts,and only noticed the crack this week well doing the same.

Should weld up fine,will just keep an eye on it for the rest of the winter.

mike

9. Milwaukee

Oh that interested because that crack make me thought it was backdrag.

I hope it hold to weld with steel plate on it.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Backdragging won't do that. I do 45 drives each snow and there is lots of backdragging done, even on my commercial stuff. Mine is two years old as well, never had that problem. And I live in a lake effect zone with lots of salt. Tyke, did you buy this plow new or used? Not to say you do, but that looks to be more from abuse or it hit something hard. That steel is very thick thru there.

11. tyke

tyke Junior Member

I believe you may be onto something,i had a look at the crack today to grind it out and get ready to weld it,and part of the crack is much older then the rest,very rusty in the tear.

I got the plow with the truck last year,so i have not owned since new,and likely it was already cracked at that time,and i very well may have not noticed it until it finally broke completely,i only inspect that section of the plow when i have the truck on my hoist for monthly fluids/greasing checks.

In any case it should get all fixed up once welded,and since this seems to not be common,i dought it will happen again.

I only do a few residential driveways and am retired,so i go easy,no need to rush.

It is a great plow,really moves and piles the snow,and operates fast and smooth[other then The screen contamination problem for drop function]which i hope to have fixed permanently as per the ex 80 service bulletin..

This site has been a great resource and i browse it daily,thanks to all you posters who contribute to the site.

We are in a deep freeze here today,it went from +4c above to -18c in 1/2 a day,so have been busy sanding/salting,i have a Myers low pro spreader i bought in 2008,gives me something to do when there is no snow.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That plow is only 2 years old? Looks a lot more used than that. Are they gonna warranty it for you?

13. Milwaukee

I disagree because I broke A frame on western 8' this is cause by backdrag on uneven drivewway where plow got stuck and snap bolt pivot to be so loose.

14. tyke

tyke Junior Member

Got it all welded up today,will keep an eye on it for rest of winter.

Should be fine,no cracks anywhere else,good working unit.

mike

15. mikef54

mikef54 Junior Member
    from Buffalo

Have a MD75 do minimal back dragging from garage and buildings. The A Frame broke at the pivot pin. Took to Niagara Performance in Lockport NY. Buyers covered half the the total repair without warranty. Plow is on it's third year.

16. hey bud.. im from ns too.. how you like the snow dogg

17. Roly

Roly Junior Member

I have a snowdogg MD7-6" broke the A frame in the same place and the plow was just 2years old My dealer fixed it up under warranty .Not too pleased with the quality of the plow .

18. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have a md75 3 years old and did the same thing broke at the pivit pin, remember guys these are light duty plows and if your like me you ended up doing alot more with it than you planned too.I know I have and cant beleive the stuff this thing as done and gone thru. Im upgrading to the hd75 for next winter. love the looks of the snow dogs. and they are built tuff and priced right.

19. tyke

tyke Junior Member

hi boxer

I live in st Margaret's bay[boutiliers point]

have not seen a lot of snow doggs around here,i bought the truck with this one on it,had a few electrical issues,just connections,biggest problem prior to the cracked frame was the clogging of the SA valve,affecting drop speed,removed the valve[cleaned/reinstalled] and improved it,but need to follow up on the cause[lift cylinder packing].

No current dealer here that i know of,but ocean truck in Dartmouth used to sell the plows and maybe they are still authorized as a repair facility,will find out this week,with the weather forecast i have time to lay it up now.

i like the plow,other then the issues i had[have] which i am sure will get sorted out one way or another.

how was your winter

mike

20. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

my brothers plow broke in the same spot, buyers did warrantied it... apparently they used a inferior a frame to what they use now