1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cracked/Dented bumper from VXT?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MattsMowingOH4, Feb 3, 2015.

1. MattsMowingOH4

MattsMowingOH4 Member

Anyone else have a cracked dented bumper from the plow. I am still trying to figure out why and how it happened… I have owned the plow for 4 years now, and this just happened. The plow is mounted on a 2008 2500HD with an 8.2 VXT with wings

Its been kind of discouraging how i switch all my trucks over to boss plows and now i have tons of issues/ problems with plows. I am still awaiting the fate of my 7'6'' standard duty that bent and literally ratted apart in under 4 hours of use on my new 2014 1500.

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Corner or the middle bumper? Middle bumper I would check the mount bolts asap.

3. burtle

burtle Member
    from USA

Any pictures by chance ?

4. MattsMowingOH4

MattsMowingOH4 Member

Its on the outer drivers side plastic bumper. The mount is tight, and the ears on the mont are good to

IMG_1992.jpg

5. djagusch

from mn

How close is it when on the truck?

6. MattsMowingOH4

MattsMowingOH4 Member

With the plow on the truck I can stand in between the truck and plow, but i am not a very big person

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I fail to see how that could have happened by the plow hitting the truck. I nailed a curb Sunday morning with my DXT in V at 15 MPH. All it did was put a scratch in the cutting edge. I could possibly see it happening if it weren't attached to the truck and you hit it. If you can stand between the plow and bumper when the plow is fully retracted and as close as possible to the truck, something would have given and you'd know exactly what caused the blade to hit the bumper. Because chit would still be broken and I doubt the blade would move.

Are you in the truck personally or someone else? Any chance that in scoop something could have gotten in between the truck and blade? Or did the driver catch something, release the pin that holds the wing and the wing pivot around and hit the bumper? I had that happen 2 weeks ago. Wing cutting edge caught the lip of a man hole cover and moved it just enough to pop off the pin at the top. The wing spun around on the rod that holds it on the blade and was laying on it's back. Had I not noticed the wing spinning, it would have done something similar I'm sure.

Does that slice in the bumper line up with any vertical parts on the plow?

And what are your "tons of issues"?

8. MattsMowingOH4

MattsMowingOH4 Member

This is the truck I personally drive, and true me I have hit my fair share of things…

The crack lines up with the last rib and the wing extension

As for the issues:
    I can't keep the wings tight on the vxt i had to bolt them this year
    My vxt has play in it now like kinda like a meyer, and i was told this is "normal play"

New Straight Blade
    Plow has under 4hrs lot/ driveway time on it. Its on my personal spot, and touch up truck. It vibrated all the trip springs/ bots loose excessively and the driver side wing went to the point where it wont even stay on the truck. It bent stacking snow at the end of a driveway. I switched from running meyer plows and don't even remember having to touch a trip spiring! I was even side swiped with that plow setup and nothing bent or broke. Its just a little discouraging when you spend $12,000 on new equipment( I bought the straight blade a a dxt) and one of the plows breaks first use.

9. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

man that does suck but contact boss, they are always helpful when you are having problems. but as for hitting things and not knowing, that could be what happened, maybe you just knicked a corner of something and didnt even notice. I havent looked over my truck to find any surprises after the big storm yesterday.

10. John_DeereGreen

I just have a hard time seeing it hitting the truck and still being usable if you can fit yourself in between the truck and plow.

Have you contacted Boss tech support? Or your dealer? Who is your dealer over that way?

11. burtle

burtle Member
    from USA

Looks like a stress crack to me. Hit something hard with the plow ?

12. MattsMowingOH4

MattsMowingOH4 Member

I use best truck

I have been told that it was ice/snow build up from the back side of the plow, but that has never been an issue for me

13. John_DeereGreen

Terry's Truck/Trailer in N Canton is great to work with. Smaller than Best and they're open any time it's snowing.

Sounds to me like it's put a new bumper cover on and move on, unless it happens again.

14. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a 2009 2500HD with a VXT with out wings. I hit the edge of a driveway with the left front corner of the blade pretty hard twice on Sunday. I have no damage. I would think you would have a bent plow frame or a bent blade to cause such damage.

15. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Could it be possible that you hit something without the plow on?? We have 2 VXT's and neither one of them even get close to the bumper. You could've hit something and then went plowing the day or a few days after you hit what ever Hit it. I don't see how that would hit the bumper unless you hit something HARD with it to just bend the Heck out of it.

16. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I would like to see a pic of plow on the truck angle to that side I have a 8-2 V with wings on it never had that problem my guys hit things all the time there's got to be something going something you're not seeing

17. djagusch

from mn

I don't see how this happened without something else than the plow hitting it. How the bumper is cut more on the topside than the bottom. could a t post got plowed over or caught up in there, sure. But I don't see how rib of the plow could hit when in use without damage to the plow.

18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Ive had the plows hit two bumpers, both vxts on fords.. check the weld seams on your A-frame where the main push beam of the plow is that mounts to the truck part.. the very top of the "A", splits after enough hits and age, and your plow will actually be tilted sideways causing one side to hit the bumper, or eventually sheer off, don't wait until that happens lol.