1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cracked/Chipped a WearBar ???? HELP!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by firstclasslawn, Feb 3, 2006.

1. I bought my new truck and it came equipted with my First Western Plow. An 8'6" MVP! The first night out, I had the plow angled all the way to the left windrowing. I was doing 10-15 mph and i hit a small crack in the pavement (one i have hit NUMEROUS times with my boss and had no problmes) and it cracked the CENTER part of the right wearbar! WTF! I HAVE NEVER cracked a wearbar, much less the center! The only time i could ever see the center crack was if the plow was in V position. So I called western themselves (not a dealer) and I told them the sitution and the guys response was "well, I wasn't there so I don't know, but it was probably a speed or style issue" Eithor you were going to fast or you have bad plowing style. HUH? I kinda thought that it was a weak wearbar!
    What do you guys think? Should the wearbar just chip or crack rather than trip like its supposed to?

2. Nobody

Nobody has ever heard of this happening? If not, then I will probably have another nice chat with western!

3. BDB

BDB Senior Member

It could be a flaw in the steel or the blade was loose. Some people tighten the nuts and tack weld them on the bolts so they do not loosen. They can snap the bolts off or crack the blade. Its kind of a judgment call. If it was brand new I would take it to the dealer and complain.

4. timberjack

timberjack Member

firstclasslawn, what do you mean by "wear bars"? I thought maybe they were some thing exclusive to the v-plows, but are you referring to the steel cutting edges?

If you are, i broke mine clean in half after only about 5 hours of plowing, and don't think i really hit anything at all. I did however find all the nuts were a little loose when i was realigning it to weld back together. I'm hoping that was the trouble, i took for granted they were installed right, and those were the only fasteners i never checked after the installation. :sleeping: I was thinking poor quality of steel or some such thing before i found the loose bolts.

I have only plowed a few times since i welded it back together, and torqued the bolts properly, it hasn't broken again yet, but time will tell.

Ken

5. bolts tight

I checked the bolts, all are tight, and yes i mean the steel cutting edge. I will take a pic when it gets light tommorow!

6. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

your cutting edge

that cutting edge that you have on your MPV...Is only 3/8"...Most others like the straight Blades are 1/2"...Don't ask me why they did that...Also me knowing a bit about steels and there properties...that blade is made of a hard type steel...very little elongation (stretch)
    When you did hit that crack it put the area beyond its yield point.
    Also the cutting edge is made to ware... but it does not like to bend
    if IT WAS A CASTING I WOULD SAY YES THERE WAS A FLAW IN THE STEEL
    but since ist not a casted steel it was the blow that did it OR...WESTERN has under sized there material..iThink it should be like the other:waving: s 1/2"
    Hope this helps yaa out

7. YEs

Yes it doesn, Thanks a ton!

8. Daner

you may also here from me soon on how to fab a back blade for the MPV plow...As far as i know western dose not make one...when i do i will post a picture for ya:salute:

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I have broken several Meyer 6.5' edges, usually when I tag a curb, oh well just bust out the esab and weld it back together

10. Daner

Just A Tip

v THE CRACK OUT WITH YOUR MINI GRINDER...THEN WARM IT UP A BIT ...AFTER WELDING PEEN WITH YOUR BALL PEAN HAMMER THEN LET ERRRRR COOL SLOW
    Good luck

11. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I took a chunk out of my cutting edge. I caught it on a catch basin.

[​IMG]

I plowed 2 years with that edge without doing any thing.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Isn't an MVP a trip-edge? Wonder why it didn't save itself then? :dizzy: