1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crack in front diff. bracket = annoying squeak?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Greenmtboy, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Truck info : 2006 3500 ext-cab flatbed w/d-max and a blizzard 8611LP

So rattles and squeaks annoy the he!! out of me. The first time out plowing this year I noticed an annoying squeak that I only heard in reverse when I would first start backing up. I never noticed it with the plow off. At first I thought it might be the antenna bracket on fender. I was able to duplicate what I thought was the squeak with that bracket, so I addressed it. Next storm, squeak is still there! Today I had some time to dig back into it. I crawled all over the plow and truck side mount and fasteners, all looked good. So I went and turned on the power hitch so I could run the plow out front. Sure enough I was able to duplicate the squeak again by raising the plow then allowing it to drop and stop, shock loading everything from the plow mounts to the front-end. Kept shock loading the front-end until I could get the squeak narrowed down. It took some looking but this is what I found. Truck has an appointment at the dealer on Wednesday. Truck is still under warranty and they did cover the frame gussets behind the control arms after the frame cracked there, so hopefully they cover this.

OMGWTFBBQ Member

I have had the same thing when shifting into reverse, except mine is more like a crunch than a squeek. I'll have to check that bracket and see if mine is cracked in a similar way. How can yours still be in warranty?
  3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I've seen that happen before and it was welded up very nicely under warranty. Good luck
  4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I'll ask B&B is this the diff mount that you gusset?
  5. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

Nice info check that out on my
  6. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Should of stated, factory extended warranty.
  7. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

No, the gussets are on the outside of the frame behind the control arms.
  8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

B&b also gussets the diff on the newer gm trucks. He just never had pics of the job. Control arms are done on my truck.
  9. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Brought the truck to the dealer this morning for them to look at it, and they said they would take care of it. I hung out until they removed the front diff. so I could have a better look at it. It didn't take long to find out that the whole bracket had broke away from the frame. Should be all welded up today and on my way. Will update the squeak after next storm.

10. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

Glad to hear your getting fixed up!

Glad to hear your getting fixed up!
    Wish my old truck could been fixed up.
    I be snow shoveling 7 snow blowing this season IF we get any snow.
    Weather been very warm for this time of the season middle 50s here with rain 2day
  11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Man, That blows!!! Is this what I have to look forward to on my Yukon??
  12. dbduts

dbduts Member

i have a 05 3500 dump that both sides of the frame cracked almost in two rite behind the upper control arm mounts,i wa lucky to catch this .any one else out there have this problem.I had my welder weld them up and fish plate the inside of the frame.My 03 2500 hd looks ok .
  13. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Very common for chevys to crack in that spot.
  14. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I seem to be experiencing the same thing on my '02 2500hd... I originally thought that it was front U joints... I'm taking the salter off this week, so I will be checking it out.

Is this common on 02's or just the newer trucks?
  15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Now you need to have your welder install the gussets so it doesn't happen again. Well documented GM problem.