1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cowl induction hood

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Mar 7, 2013.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

does anyone have these style hoods on there ram? if so just curious if you get alot of snow stuck there or gets inside the hood when driving or plowing? looking to get this style next year on my 2500 to keep it cool when the plow is on.
    thanks

119026-md.jpg

2. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

You should not need to change the hood. I have a 1500 with a fisher plow and the day I bought it had it, installed in Maine and started to drive home to Boston my truck started to over heat, had to stop about 4-5 time to let it cool down. I tried all different angles on the blade and still no help.
    My fix and I got the solution on this site was to change the clutch to a heavy duty one and no problems runs the same temperature all the time.

What i do is change from the stock one when the plow season comes 2-3 months and then back to the stock one when spring comes or the snow season it done. Simple to change about 45 minutes.

I think it cost me about $100 OEM from Chrysler had a friend pick one up for me.

The reason i change it out is with the HD you get a bit less gas mileage and of course the loud whining noise when you first start it up on a cold day until it warms up.

Again I would go for the fan clutch deal and that will be the real fix.

Adding the hood you show might not do the trick and cost you more money and the paint for the hood.

Good luck but read this forum and you will see most if not all changed their clutch fan to a HD and no more overheating

3. dodgegmc1213

ill look into that. my stock hood is rotted anyway so ima need a new one eventually. the needle for the temp goes up by a hair when traveling around town, you can barely tell it moved. but when i go on the interstate doing 55-65 and up steap hills loaded with salt i gotta lower the plow so its about an inch off the ground. i wish they put an electric fan on the radiator instead of the a/c. that thing is always on when the plow is on

4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

You mean like this one? its not a REAL cowl hood. nothing gets in. its a great hood, i like mine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. dodgegmc1213

you get enough cool air with the plow, no overheating?

6. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

never had an issue.

7. dodgegmc1213

i looked at sites for the clutch but they all say severe duty whats the difference? one site said it can be used in place of many heavy duty clutches

8. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

You seriously need to look at electric fans (dual) instead of a clutch.