1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cow catcher for spreader spinner

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Grampa Plow, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hy guys, I just got a new Hiniker 8 Ft. SS spreader. The bottom of the spinner assembly is about 2 inches above my receiver hitch. I got thinking that I might have someone weld a T coming out of the hitch that goes under the spreader spinner, that way if I back up into a snow pile (or whatever) the spinner assembly would be protected. The T bar would be under the middle of the spinner, so it wouldn't interfere with the salt distribution. Has anyone every tried this, does it work ok or did I have too much Egg Nogg yesterday?

2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I was thinking of doing something similar... can't hurt. I am going to build something to cover mine that also goes in the receiver and then just take it out when I need to spread...

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Definitely to much egg nogg:D

4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Ya I built 1 last year after I backed into a 4ft tall, black, cyclone fence @ 2am. Mine is basically a square that I welded onto a drop hitch. Made from 1-1/2" square tubing. Works great! I backed into a couple of ice banks since then and it breaks up the ice/crusty snow b/f it can do any real damage. I also use it as a step to lokk under the tarp and make sure I'm empty or just plugged up.

5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

T bar

This is a quick piece I saved from a old mount for a spreader

100_2329 (Medium).JPG

6. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I built one out of 2" square tubing. I welded a short receiver tube on top of the truck receiver to hold my spreader. Then I built my T 30 inches long by 24 inches wide that goes into the truck receiver. Should protect the spreader from getting damaged. Every year we come across someone who has damaged their spreader by backing into something. The small price to make the T ( under $15 ) is a no brainer.

7. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

Thanks guys...I thought it sounded like a good idea...especially when I'm a little tired!!

8. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

this is something I had made

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

That one looks like it could take a real thump. Thanks