1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Covering Salt with tarp

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jake2333, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jake2333

jake2333 Junior Member

I will be in my first year of using bulk salt and I was wondering if I will have problems with salt if I store it outside and tarp it down well. Thanks

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

What is going to be underneath it? You might some issues with the bottom layer but the rest should be ok. No promises thou.:laughing:
  3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

It works fine, but boy is it a pain when the tarp gets lots of snow on it!
  4. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

What about sand? Will it be okay if it's dry, or does it attract moisture, even under a tarp?
  5. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

Yes it will wick up moisture from the ground, tough to keep it dry in my experience. FMK
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can try putting poly under it, but it's tough to not rip it with your tractor.
  7. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

would ply wood be ok underneath it to keep it from freezing
  8. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Never done it but maybe adding some foam for insulation underneath would help
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Theres no need to insulate it thermally from the ground. There's heat in there. You do want to try to prevent moisture from transferring though. Plywood on top of poly might work well. I presume you're not using a JD 644 to pull from your pile.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

11. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I guess I should assume that the guys that have suggested putting plywood or foam insulation under a salt pile most likely do not have any experience using bulk. When you make the progression from bagged salt to bulk you need to bite the bullet and invest in a dry, secure salt bin. I prefer a concrete bunker style bin but started out using shipping containers. Spend a little now and save on huge headaches later!
  12. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

i would like to buld a salt bin the only thing is i dont have the land where i can build it and i was looking into a shipping container and only thing i was thing about the labor to put the salt into it and how much salt would one hold i was looking to to get 50 tons
  13. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I have stuffed 44 ton into a 10x25 container so 50 ton is posssible with a larger container.