1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coverage Rate for a tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SpartanBill, Oct 16, 2008.

1. SpartanBill

SpartanBill Junior Member

The bag of Ice melt I looked recommended .5 lbs. per sq. yd using a push spreader. I need to cover 4500 s.f. (75' x 60') using a SnoEx 1075.

The Math 4500 s.f. = 500s.y. x .5lb./yd. = 250 lb.

250 lbs. does this sound like a good working number?

What do you guys think?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

not sure, i base my numbers on 600 lbs will cover 1000 sq feet, but thats with rock salt... icemelt is stronger so i bet it would be half as much

but a 75 by 60 area is pretty small. so 5 bags might do the trick -

i woulnt think they would lie about the coverage since they generally want you to apply more, so you purchase more... so if they feel that 250 will do the job, it must be ....
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  3. SpartanBill

SpartanBill Junior Member

Thanks Elite

Looks like I'm looking @ $180 /pallet. 10 apps. @ 250# / app.

Does $72 per app. sound good.

The HOA president told me that last year they paid $85/ application, but he also told me they had less than 6 apps????

Something doesn't seem right, I heard ice melt was going for under $100 / pallet last year. Was the other guy really getting 10X over cost???

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Carry plenty of salt in the bed of the truck. It is great ballast and on hand for when you need it.
    With salt prices the way they are this year pricing is crazy. I charge 3X what the salt costs me to spread it out of my tailgate spreader.