1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coverage of liquid cal chloride per sq ft

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 122fox, Oct 3, 2009.

1. 122fox

122fox Member

Has any one used liquid calcium chloride for sidewalks and stairs, what are u finding for amount in gallon used per sq foot? how have your results been ??

2. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Guess I'd want to ask what type of liqiud calcium you where refering to? Lots of products out there with liqiud calcium in it. Is it pure, or only a small part of the blend?

3. 122fox

122fox Member

pure or as close as you can get not mixing it

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Are you making this your self?

How are you spraying it?

And if your making it your self, how are you making it, and at what rate?

5. 122fox

122fox Member

no im buying premix cal chloride not sure what %, and im spraying with a 200 gal skid sprayer, this is my first yr trying this on walks, just wondered amounts of usage so i can compare costs? i have heard 35 gallons per acre but im not sure??

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Well you should know what the % is before you buy it.... The place you buy from should of have it tested at one point. And if your buying large amounts at one time you should be testing it when u get it.

If you over Appy it you will have big problems on your hands

7. 122fox

122fox Member

well im jsut trying to get a feel for amount used before i decide if im gonna go that way or not im pretty clear about if u use to much and that is matters how much water is already on the ground plus whats still expected to fall, anyway im just looking for amount per sq foot appled in gallons

8. LawnTools

LawnTools Junior Member

Gallon per 1000 square feet is what my guy says is right, ask the manufacturer they should be able to tell you

9. 122fox

122fox Member

thank you for your info

10. turboguy

turboguy Member

Most of the numbers I have seen and heard of guys doing are in the range of 30-40 gallons per acre for anti-icing (ahead of the storm) That being the case you would use about 3/4 to 1 gallon per 1000 sq. ft. For de-icing I hear all kinds of numbers but for a ball park just double that.

11. 122fox

122fox Member

thank you thats the kinda info im looking for

12. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

the rate should be 30 gallon to 50,000 sq ft. I have use luquid cal on sidewalks doesnt work well at all. I would look at magic salt liquid or fusion they work really well.ussmileyflag