1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cover your load?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Feb 29, 2012.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Specifically for under tailgate and replacement tailgate spreaders on 1ton dump trucks. I have a vbox and cover it every storm. Thats harder to do with a ut. I use magic salt for deicing. One truck will get a truckcraft replacement tailgate spreader next year and I'm concerned about the salt turning into a solid lump and the "magic" running off. Thoughts?
  2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Your concern is unwarranted.

Unless it's a monsoon or hurricane and you leave your salt in for extended periods of time.
  3. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

by law you need to cover your load . but any way it deff keeps it lighter covering it. the only time i don't cover is when i am subing for the town
  4. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

wet/damp salt works faster for me
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have the tailgate replacement and use Clearlane in my truckcraft dump inserts. I could leave the covers off if I wanted but I carry shovels with me and sometimes the material will sit in there and I know if I do leave it there and it gets wet the liquid will run off and it has the opportunity to harden up very easily.I guess it is a preference but if you plan on leaving you material in there after a storm it may become hard as a rock. Here a few pics of nylon covers I had made this year. Also able to carry to snowplow shovels up towards the cab no problem.

truck tarp 1.jpg

truck tarp 2.jpg

truck tarp 3.jpg
  6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

How do you like that spreader? I am looking at the same one for a dump truck next year.
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I couldn't be happier with the unit. I have one on both trucks and they work great. I am buying a 1 ton this fall and I was going to go with this same unit but the 1 ton unit tailgate replacement,but I think I am leaning more towards the truckcraft t160 undertailgate unit unit instead since I would be able to get a little better material flow. But the tailgate replacement units have never let me down.
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If I'm using my salt as ballast during a storm, then I use a tarp to cover it over to keep snow from getting on it and freezing it up.

But, if it's short term, I don't even worry about it.