1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cover wires,reservoir and plugs?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by atvriderinmass, Dec 16, 2008.

1. atvriderinmass

atvriderinmass Senior Member

Hey guys,I have a fisher homesteader on a 2001 Ford Ranger.This is my first plow and i'm just wondering if i should put something over the electrical wires and reservoir to keep it from getting wet or frozen? I've heard of some plows freezing up. Just wondering if covering the top with a piece of thick rubber would help at all.Snow is coming tonight and i dont want any problems tomorrow..thanks alot guys
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Keep dielectric grease in the grill connectors to help keep moistrue out of them, other than that, theres not much of a reason to totally cover the power unit.

The reason your reading about so many pumps freezing up is due to a lack of maintance or another problem that is allowing moisture to enter the unit. Change the fluid every fall to remove any moisture that may have collected over the summer due to condensation. If you notice a leak, get it fixed, especially if its a cylinder. A leaking cylinder usually means a bad packing and every time it is retracted it will draw in moisture.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would NEVER plow with my resevoir and wires out in the open. Snow and ice will rip wires loose or even bust the resevoir.
  4. atvriderinmass

atvriderinmass Senior Member

what do you cover them with?
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Everything that needs to be covered on your plow is covered.
  6. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

if your worried about it cover the wire with heater hose thats what I did. I did this as I use a 1ga ground and power wire to pump and I am all about over kill, I lubed up some heater hose (3/4 i think) and shoved wire through it to prevent any possibility of vibration eating through wires sheething since I drive a diesel. Wire loom helps but its not "bullet proof".

if your worried about it freezing change your fluid if you dont know if its been changed this season it takes 10 minutes.
  7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Besides all the stuff just mentioned, I am a little over cautious when it comes to my plow. After I'm done with it I put a large plastic garbage can lid over the lift arm with a bungie cord to keep the excess snow and rain off the pump etc. Of course snow and rain can blow on it but every little bit helps.
  8. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

my plow truck set it -4 actuall temp and 45mph winds (-25windchill) for 14hours yesterday and had no problems with it this morning, its all about maintenance. It literally pays to be over cautious like you are. I cover my plow motor/pump with a hacked up 5gal bucket and a bungee strap over it or it will be covered in 2" of solid ice in morning. Also put your plow in down position and push cylinder down manually by hand helps keep rust and debries off and if plow freezes to ground gives it a little extra speed to effortlessly break it free so you don't have to drive it free and lets fluid circulate easily with first kick-on of the day. And yes I'm the idiot with the plow truck at carwash at 5am spraying the caked on snow off of it (but not directly on gaskets).
  9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Every bit helps but it is made to be out in the cold but I also add some extra stuff to the wires. You can got to home depot or any electrical supply and get some wire loom. Its a plastic cover that keeps the snow and ice off the connections.

XL-1LEZ8 (Small).jpg
  10. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

When not in use, I put an old gas grill cover over my unit - easy on, easy off. Works for me.