1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cover It Shelters?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Jul 15, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I am thinking about buying a cover it shelter to keep my trailer from being barried in the snow in the event that I need it. Anyone own a cover it shelter? If so how do ya like it?

Geoff

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I don't own one but enterprise rent a car in woburn did and I saw it collapesed when we got alot of snow.It was a good sized one.your better off to get a small steel building if it would be more perminent.Plus those coverit cost almost as much as a real building that's why I never got one, would be good at a much lower price try us steel arch buildings they have a web site too don't remember what it's called Geoff good luck.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We've had one over our salt pile for 2 years now. Works great so far. You are supposed to knock the snow off them if there is alot, but we didn't get around to it until it started melting and the canvas started sagging between the supports. Their instructions could be a little better, but we figured it out.

The best thing is around here they are considered temporary so we didn't need a permit or anything like that to put it up.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i know someone who had a 67 gto they were restoring in one and it collapsed from the weight of the snow. it put a few dings in the car, but he welded a few more supports and cross members and it seems to work out great now. i guess if you keep cleaning the snow off you should be all set. what about a shed? here a company called carefree makes single garage sheds. they look like they are built really well. just a suggestion.

5. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I use something similar to store the pontoon boat under for the winter. Snowload is the big concern, but I just run the backhoe down each side of it to clear the snow that has slid, and give room for the next slide. Problems come when the snow gets too high up the sides. No problems with lots of snow like you get Geoff - 11 feet last winter here.

I guess you mean your lowbed trailer? It should work for that. What about a lean-to )ie carport) against your new salt building? They are inexpensive and not the maintenance potential of the plastic covers.

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

A 40 Ton Low bed, needs a pretty good sized shead.

Would also like to park my 40 ton tag a log trailer in there too.

Geoff