1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

coupler spring pin sliding out

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gc3, Jan 20, 2012.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

My boss vxt coupler spring pin on the passenger side keeps sliding back out even though the lever is on and the spring is down under the coupler spring pin. It slides back through the tower plow frame. I disconnect it and reinstall and it slides all in, but after a few pushes & backdragging it slides back out again. What would cause this to happen ? Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

By your description you only have one coupler retainer spring on the underside, there should be two.

3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I was talking about the thicker pin with the d handle attached to it that slides into the oval slots when you engage the smarthitch. This pin then slides through the pin receiver on the truck and then through the other side of the lower pin coupler tower.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, and the lock pin lever that holds it either in or out should have two tension springs connected between the lock pin lever and the main lock pin. These are what holds the main pin in position and if one is missing the other won't always keep the pin engaged. Look on the underside of the lever and make sure both springs are there and the pivot bolt is tight.

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I just looked and both springs are still attached. I don't see anything missing. The plow is only a few years old. I don't know what would cause the pin to slide back while plowing.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the springs and lever are doing their job then the next likely candidates are the pin or the bracket is bent or the pin isn't going all the way through. Need to take a real close look at it.

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I took it in to the dealer and he thinks the push beam is twisted. Once he gets the kit he will see if the side plates are ok. I hope the coupler tower isn't twisted also. When I looked at it last the coupler pin on the passenger side was going in the reciever at a slight angle when hooked up and in all the way. It wasn't as squared up as the drivers side looked. He hooked up the plow to his truck and said it looked ok. Is it possible to have the truck receiver twisted but not the coupler tower?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's more common to bend a push frame than anything else but you can bend a tower or push beam too, anything is a possibility. And that's why it needs a close inspection as mentioned and that entail measurements and using a straight edge. An eyeballing won't always catch it.

I've also seen a couple push beam hooks welded on slightly out of place as well so if this was a brand new install be sure to check that as well.

9. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yea, I hope they get it right this time. This all started when I bought new tires a month ago. I was taking it in to get fine tuned. The height was alittle off but hooked up anyways. It was in the receiver all the way. The coupler spring pins went in all the way also. It looked like it was perfect. I did a few angles and up and down and was ok. I drove down the driveway about 10 feet and the drivers side of the plow fell down and away from the truck. I released the passenger side and pressure on it. Pushed the drivers side back up to the receiver and tried it again. It hooked up good enough to get it to the dealer. They thought it was good enough with straightening the receiver with a magneto. I did notice that the spring pin on the passenger side was alittle off ( pointing toward the drivers seat when hooked up ) but now it started sliding out after plowing/backdragging. Now there gonna see what it looks like with that push bar kit. Hopefully they'll get it right this time. If that safety catch on the drivers side was latched how could it have fallen down originally?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So there is more to the story. Sounds like it wasn't fully attached (not hard to miss if you're not paying attention) and once you lost it the passenger side was tweaked in the process, therefore you're having issues with that side now.