1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coupler Spring Pin Question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by taweste, Dec 26, 2012.

1. taweste

taweste Junior Member
    from MA

I apologize in advance for asking a stupid question. I bought, what best can be described as a plow truck, and this will be my first season plowing my driveway and hopefully some friends and family driveways. I do not know too much about the plow, other than that it is a boss possibly rt2?

I was putting the plow back on the truck for the first time today, and I cannot tell whether the coupler spring pins are properly engaged. They are both "all the way in" but there does not seem to be any way to lock them in place? Does the spring supply adequate pressure to ensure the pins do not slide out? I feel like there should be, at minimum, a cotter pin to ensure they don't slide out?

Thanks for your help!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you see that the pins are through both sides then your all set. And to take the plow off ,flip that lever on both side. Make sure plow control is in float first. .To take plow of flip the toggle switch up first till you hear a click,then power the switch down.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Post a pic so we know what series you actually have. Until we know it's tough to give SAFE instruction.

4. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. Spool it up

you must have posted while i was posting , bump,bumpThumbs Up

6. Spool it up

7. taweste

taweste Junior Member
    from MA

It's a straight plow. I will not be able to post any pics until tomorrow, but I can tell you that the pins are much simpler than the ones depicted in the video; when the pins are removed there is a rod protruding form the pin which is seated in a slot. However, when the pins are inserted the rod stops the pin from moving any further in, but there is not a slot for it to seat in.

Unless I am missing pieces, which appears unlikely from reviewing parts diagrams, it seems like the only thing to stop the pin from sliding is the tension from the spring. I am probably looking into this too much.

Thanks for the replies.

Here is an image of the pin

coupler spring pin diagram.jpg

8. Spool it up

there is usually a safety latch on the passeger side .

comb over that plow , checking the pivot and cotter pins underneath where the headgear attaches to the clevis . Check the oil .

click on the links here and use the search . you'll know that plow like the back of your hand real soon .

http://www.bossplow.com/support here for Tech and manuals

BnB is The Boss Master Tech here on the site ~

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're describing SH2 of course. But by his newly posted image his is in fact the old SH1 RT3, which he thought was actually an RT2. So now we know for sure it's RT3 and SH1 based on positive ID. :waving:

And as far as Sh1 goes, there's no "safety's" on the SH1 stuff. Once the pins are fully engaged you're done. The springs hold them from there. As a backup some guys used to like to throw a bungee cord around each pin just for extra measure.