1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

coupler question!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by baddboygeorge, Feb 5, 2003.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

on my hydralic hoses i have the quick connect couplers .do they go bad i drained my cylinders on the plow it self an after i got finished i put the two hoses together an i can barely move the plow from side to side. whats the problen let me know thanks

2. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Sounds like you have some air in your system. Keep working the plow back and forth you should work the air out.

Bob

3. baddboygeorge

hell i cant budge it its to tite are the couplers screwed up or what i can that them off an it moves fine .when i put them on an snap together i can hardly move it it has to be in the couplers anyone else had this problem let me know

4. M.C.A.

M.C.A. Member
    from WI

When you said you connected them together did you mean the left cylinder hose to the right cylinder hose and tryed manualy angling the plow or you connected them to the pump. I have had couplers go bad on western plows. I even baught a new one once and It didn't work, plow angled one way and wouldn't go back the other way tryed another coupler and it worked.

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Back in the dark ages when plows were run by an underhood pump and had couplers, I had a coupler go bad with no warning. Plow would angle one way and not go back. Even with the leading corner firmly against a tree and the truck pushing it would not angle that way. New coupler solved the problem instantly so I tend to think that somehow the coupler had failed to open the fluid passage when it was connected.

6. baddboygeorge

i have snow coming in tomm nite an i have to get this problem solved quick. when i hook the hoses together i should be able to move the plow manually back an forth rite with no problem rite hell maybe i need to drain again an try to refill one more time an see if that helps an by the way how do i clean the screen in my e-60 pump please help thanks

7. SCFALL

SCFALL Member

Coupler

Yes Yes Yes you should beable to move it back and forth without to much resistance, change the couplers one at a time and you'll find the culprit. Scott

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You said you drained the cylinders. Did you check the fluid after reconnecting and trying to angle it back and forth. If that is what you did, your resevoir may be empty???

And yes, alan and the others are right, couplers can and do go bad for no apparent reason, mostly at the wrong time.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2003
  9. baddboygeorge

whats the since checking the resorvoiur as long as one cylinder is full that is all it requires

10. Chris Stull

Chris Stull Junior Member

i had problems with bad couplers also and when you change put the male and female end on so you know you have a matched set
    if you had the hoses off maybe dirt got in the line some how?

11. baddboygeorge

i dont think dirt got into it cause the whole hose want off just the coupler itself an i cleaned them out very well . i think that age has taken there toll on them i am buying all four tomm. hey guys once again thanks for all the hellp an i will keep ya posted on the outcome thanks george

12. baddboygeorge

update!!!!

well guys got up early an made a few calls about my unit not angling ,so i called the meyers dealer down the street. i asked him about the couplers an he said no thats not the problem.so i asked if you hooked the hoses together would you be able to move the plow manually , his anwser was oh no never ,it doesnt work that way,but common since if you connect a male an female together you will get the fluid to flow. i asked this guy like 2-3 times if he was sure an he said it would never happen so i said ok .surprise surprise i went to the parker store an got some new couplers came back swapped em out an what do ya know plow works like a new one an it will angle manually as well when i put the hoses together . i am glad i got the problem taken care of .in the morning i will be on my way down to see that ol meyer expert an show him a few tricks of the trade . thanks again guys for the help an advice .this site is an awesome resource THANKS SO MUCH GEORGE!!!